Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need new a/c or heat pump for hydro air handler- OxBox any good? Other suggestion?

Options
I am in need of a new 4 ton a/c system and may upgrade to a heat pump. I have a hydro air system heated by fuel oil boiler. My boiler guy suggested an OxBox system by Trane. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? I have gotten estimates for a Bosch system and an Amana system. The prices are pretty rough. Thank you.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,869
    Options
    How do you know you need 4-Tons?
    Can your duct work handle 1600 CFM's?

You're not buying a microwave or refrigerator/freezer. You're getting several boxes of parts delivered to your home. All these parts must be assembled in the proper order under by hopefully Trained personal under all types of whether conditions.

The names on the trucks are more important than the names on the boxes.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    If it were me, I'd go with a high SEER, high COP 2 stage heat pump for 3 heat stages, and the hydro coil also during defrost. 
    I'm not yet sold on the longevity of parts and repairs vs higher upfront cost for an inverter system. I've serviced some Bosch. I've setup and commissioned multiple Carrier Infinity systems, and they are pretty amazing, but for how long before $$$ repairs are needed. 
    There's also a much better chance of a tech having a contactor, or capacitor, or a condenser fan motor on the van than an inverter board for your exact system. But that's me. 
    Either way, vet the installer. Get references.
    WMno57EdTheHeaterMan
  • clydesdale
    clydesdale Member Posts: 46
    edited January 8
    Options
    Thanks. The house currently has a 5 ton unit and 2 of the contractors that I had come over say it is oversized and that we can go to a 4ton. The space is about 2 thousand sqft. I am getting estimates from $. To me, the numbers are insane. I cooled the house using the upstairs system this summer and just threw an A/C in the window downstairs to keep the place compfortable. That A/C cost me $ at costco. Very hard to understand why these things cost about $ and are expected to last 10 or so years. Please continue to advise me. I am not sure where to go with this yet. Thanks.
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Prices of installations aren’t allowed. But no, a central heat pump will not only last ten years. 20 is an easy estimate, especially if you’re not using the heat pump for 100% of heating. Plenty of ACs last 20+ years, it’s nearly the exact same deal. It’s your call: a window unit will certainly work too. 
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    edited January 8
    Options

Well you've gotta remove the pricing. It's against site rules, and has no bearing on our ability to help. That part is between you and your accountant. For me, that's my wife. And I feel your pain. But if you get quality equipment with a quality installer, there's no reason it shouldn't last 20 years... as long as it's maintained. We do semi annual maintenance on air to air and geo heat pumps.

They make 4 post stands to keep the outdoor unit above the snow line.

Make sure you get all the paperwork and manuals. Some manufacturers require you register the equipment in order to get the extended warranty. 

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    Options
    Oxbox is marketed by Trane but not made by them. The furnaces are Nortek and the A/Cs are Midea, which is Chinese.