Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain AB-80H Control Board Fire

Options
2»

Comments

• sgibb16
    sgibb16 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that Weil McLain did end up warrantying the part after all. Even though their paperwork says claims must be submitted by a certified installer or however they phrased it. 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,428
    Options
    I'm no more keen on the difficulty in getting parts for repair on new equipment than anyone else is. There's a reason I run old equipment. However, it is not entirely the fault of the original manufacturer, or at least not directly. First, building anything on the west side of the pond is getting insanely expensive, and it's not going to get any better. Second, until recently, while shipping was slow, ocean freight was cheap -- cheap enough to make it worth shifting manufacturing to somewhere less expensive.

But then you have the problem of installation and repair by authorized dealers vs. anyone with a truck and a box of tools. That problem is on the lawyers. If something goes amiss with an unauthorized installation, the first and often only inclination is to blame the manufacturer -- and then sue them. That doesn't fix anything, but costs everyone a lot of money. Think about it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    WMno57
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Hello @sgibb16,
    Curious, how did they compensate you for the claim ? Did they send out a replacement control board so now you have spare ? Which may be helpful in the future.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • sgibb16
    sgibb16 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    @109A_5
    They credited the supplier I purchased the board through and the supplier issued me a refund. 
  • Mustangman
    Mustangman Member Posts: 113
    Options
    I am from PA. We have experienced power surges from the electric company over the last few years. I got involved on a high end Carrier unit and a multi zone ductless that drove me nuts. The electric company came out and checked it and said they are within spec. They took a 5 minute test. I was thinking they would use a data logger over night. The owners were getting impatient so I got online and found a data logger. It took a few days, but finally I got a very high reading. The Electric company pulled their service and put it on a different transformer. Problem gone. The other unit showed under current. I was lucky as nothing burned. Again, the electric company came out. They ended up repairing the under voltage.
    My point is, don't rule out an external force causing you grief. You guys all work with this new stuff. Most is not polarity sensitive but the parts are really delicate. Good Luck