Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Subdural’s Triumph

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 659
edited December 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
imageSubdural’s Triumph

Many extremely capable women are tackling tough jobs in mechanical rooms despite pushback.

Read the full story here

GGross

Comments

• mattman
    mattman Member Posts: 18
    When I worked for a mechanical contractor we had a tinner that was as skinny as could be that outworked half the men in the shop.
    Erin Holohan HaskellMad Dog_2
  • mattman
    mattman Member Posts: 18

mattman said:

When I worked for a mechanical contractor we had a tinner that was as skinny as could be that outworked half the men in the shop.

And she was a woman
    Erin Holohan HaskellCLambMad Dog_2
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,972
    Some of the best tradespeople I've worked with over the years have been women. Not quite so much tendency to take the if a little hammer doesn't work, try a bigger one approach. There are a few -- a very few -- jobs where sheer physical strength is helpful, of course -- but even there sometimes...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Erin Holohan HaskellMad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    I was starting 7 boilers in a Boston high rise of 34 floors, and they had a women electrician running that job. One of the hardest workers I ever saw. We have several women pipe fitters/plumbers in our local union hall and get several new female apprentices every year.
    CLambMad Dog_2
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,972
    edited December 2023
    Tales out of school here -- but my daughter (small) worked for a while for a major water company, and had the job of opening all the manholes for valves and what have you to inspect and operate them. Those manhole covers are big and heavy! She was just as good at opening them as the big burly guy (whom she wound up marrying) was...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    CLambGGrossMad Dog_2
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    Fellas, the next time you feel like you need video proof that a woman is capable of installing a boiler, remember that the overwhelming majority of shoddy installs were done by men. I remember this one happening and still can't believe that guy said that
    CLamb
  • jesmed1
    jesmed1 Member Posts: 575
    In my experience, women are also more likely to read the instructions...and follow them.
    CLambSteamedInNJ