Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Junk

Options
We had our unit installed in 2018 it has broke down every winter since installation, the most dependable thing about this unit is it's undependability. We have spent thousands of dollars on repairs and we are now going on three weeks without heating or hot water. We are to the point of replacing it but I would not recommend a combo unit because you lose everything when it goes down. You would think Norizt would have offered to replace it since it hasn’t even ran one season yet without being broke down. My advice is stay away JUNK !!!

Comments

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,323
    Options
    Welcome to HeatingHelp. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on. Combi heat and hot water units are not well thought of here. A better way is a boiler with an Indirect water heater. But the boiler still has to work to make hot water in the indirect tank.
    My personal opinion is to have a dedicated water heater. Gas, Electric Resistance, Heat Pump, whatever. This way, when the boiler is down for whatever reason, you still have hot water. Gives you a maintenance window of the whole summer for the boiler.
    I DIY.
    PC7060Larry Weingarten109A_5
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 978
    Options
    Me personally i don't mind combi as long as you buy a product designed for heat with the ability to make hot water and its from a good quality company. Meaning the BOILER is a BOILER being used to also make hot water. Not a hot water heater pretending to be a boiler. Noritz is an on demand water heater being used for heat also. there is a huge difference. The heat exchanger design for a noritiz, rinnai, navien etc are all heat exchangers designed for on demand hot water, not heat.

i prefer to do a mod/com with an indirect
    WMno57mattmia2Ironman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    Ive owned and lived with 6 different combis now, over 15 years of use and have not had issues? Proper set up, water quality and occasional maintenance are needed,

Brand matters! One Baxi, five Lochinvars is what I have used.

Energy Kinetics is another combi conventional system where the DHW heat exchanger is a separate external component. They get excellent reviews here is you want a non condenser
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2SuperTechLarry Weingarten
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,044
    Options
    Noritz is good qaulity...I'd like to see pictures of the install and what kind of yearly service was done?  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,981
    Options

We had our unit installed in 2018 it has broke down every winter since installation, the most dependable thing about this unit is it's undependability. We have spent thousands of dollars on repairs and we are now going on three weeks without heating or hot water. We are to the point of replacing it but I would not recommend a combo unit because you lose everything when it goes down. You would think Norizt would have offered to replace it since it hasn’t even ran one season yet without being broke down. My advice is stay away JUNK !!!

Have you contacted Noritz directly? Has your service company?
    If you haven't. You! call them and ask what their take on things are. There might be some help out there still. Have proof of all work done in hand when you contact them and see where it goes. Ask for their help straight away. They might just be able to.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,569
    Options
    The best equipment can't work with a bad install. Maybe that is your issue.
    mattmia2IronmanBenDplumberIntplm.