Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about adjusting return line valves

Options
I have a 3 zone oil fired hot water floor radiator heating system. Zone 1 is for the hot water storage tank. Zone 2 is for the downstairs area. Zone 3 is for the living area.

The living area zone is split into 2 loops with a simple tee. One loop goes to the dining room and living room. The other loop goes to the bedrooms. That entire zone is fed by one circulation pump and a single wall thermostat in the hallway.

Those 2 loops do have separate return line valves down at the boiler which are fully open. By the way the circulation pumps and check valves for all 3 zones are on the supply side near the boiler.

I know this setup is not ideal as far as balancing the bedrooms and living room. But even so, we have no complaints and it has worked fine for us.

Now comes my question - having recently installed mini-splits, we would like to keep using the hot water system in the bedrooms but not the living room area. Would I cause any problems simply closing the return valve at the boiler for that loop on that zone?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,371
    Options
    Not really. The boiler may run shorter cycles, though.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 919
    Options
    If you do that, you may need to move the thermostat into one of the bedrooms. In the hallway it may be affected by heat coming from the mini splits in the main living area.

Bburd
  • allenm
    allenm Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Ok - thanks. I was afraid I might mess up some pressure settings, but I don't see anything to adjust on the pumps or check valves anyway. I thought I might have to move the thermostat. Of course, that will lead to an argument about whose room gets to have it.
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 919
    edited November 2023
    Options
    allenm said:
    I thought I might have to move the thermostat. Of course, that will lead to an argument about whose room gets to have it.
    That's easy: who owns the house / pays the bills?

Bburd