Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler stopped working

Options
I have a crown gas spark fired steam boiler. Was installed maybe 3 years ago. Got home from work and it wasnt on. Jumped the thermostat didnt kick on. I cleaned the low water probe it wasnt really dirty. I took the pressurtrol off and blew out the pig tail then i jumped the trol still nothing. Damper is open and every 15 mins i see the led come on for the cycle guard lwco intermittent test. Im thinking there must be an electric issue any advice on where to start? 

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 978
    Options
    Check the draft hood spill switch or flame roll out. Most likely the spill switch as you stated the damper is open so those two devices would be in series after the damper end switch. Hard to believe you would have a plugged HX after 2-1/2 years so i'm leaning towards the spill switch. If the spill switch has failed you need to find the cause. It's a safety device. You might have animals nesting on top of your chimney, dead birds at the base, etc. spill switch should be re-settable by pressing the button in the middle
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,323
    Options
    Any lights on the Crown control board?
    I DIY.
  • Frankbig23
    Frankbig23 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    pedmec said:
    Check the draft hood spill switch or flame roll out. Most likely the spill switch as you stated the damper is open so those two devices would be in series after the damper end switch. Hard to believe you would have a plugged HX after 2-1/2 years so i'm leaning towards the spill switch. If the spill switch has failed you need to find the cause. It's a safety device. You might have animals nesting on top of your chimney, dead birds at the base, etc. spill switch should be re-settable by pressing the button in the middle
    So only reason i dont think its a nest or anything is i have a 2 family house with seperate hot water boiler and my tenants boiler has no issues . Is the draft hood spill switch the little round sensor near the end of the air pipe? Theres also a littlr resitor lokking thing i was getting 14 ohms resistance across i dont see anything with a button for reset
  • Frankbig23
    Options
    WMno57 said:
    Any lights on the Crown control board?
    I dont have any led panel only leds are on the cycle guard lwco just one for intermittent  test and low water
  • Frankbig23
    Options
    I had to go to work when im home ill get pictures
  • Frankbig23
    Options
    This looks to be the same set up i have CROWN BOILER
    Crown Boiler BSI172ENP 172 MBH Gas-Fired Fully Assembled Steam Boiler
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Hello @Frankbig23,
    Probably something in the Yellow boxes. A Multi-meter would help.

Damper End Switch.
    FRS - Flame Roll Out Switch.
    BVS - Blocked Vent Switch.
    Ignition Module.

https://www.velocityboilerworks.com/documents/bermuda_installation_manual_2012.pdf

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System