Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The case for 11 psi in breweries, this weeks case

Options
There is no case to solve this week. I was looking plans for a new brewery and they specified 14.7 pounds to be delivered to the brewing equipment. If you service breweries with steam boilers, this may help. It will be posted on friday at 6am EST
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    There is an ASME rule that you cannot operate a low pressure steam boiler with a 15 psi relief valve that close to the relief valve setting.

I can't remember the operating pressure that is safe but it is a percentage of the 15 psi. When I find it I will post it. Personally about 12.5 psi is as high as I would go.

Relief valves are not that accurate. I think they must open withing 10% ? of their rating either high or low.

Operating too close to the relief valve setting can cause the relief valve to weep a small amount of steam that may not be noticed as it evaporates. This condensed steam can cause the valve to rust shut.

Unfortunately I had a close call with a boiler with a rusted shut safety valve and plugged pigtails at the same time.

PC7060
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,507
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed I was looking for that and couldn't find it. Thanks So here is the link for the The case for 11 psi in brewery boilers. The drawings called for 14.7 psig steam. I Couldn't believe it. https://youtube.com/watch?v=CnO3uM4Ms9g
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    GGross
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    It is ironic that 14.7 PSI is the atmospheric pressure at sea level.

Is this just some number they pulled out of some where?

So at zero PSI in the boiler, the steam would be under 14.7 PSI??
    SlamDunk
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    @JUGHNE that is a crooked # sounds fishy.
    bburd
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,507
    Options
    @JUGHNE LOL it is a weird number Its funny they said they wanted 14.7 at the equipment. At the boiler I am guessing they want 14.9
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    I have the prints from an 18 bed hospital built in 1975.

The piping details for 2 boilers with king valves for weekly alterations are included and quite accurate.

However, the ME has a directive note to run the boilers at 15 PSI.....on the same page notes to install the proper sized 15 PSI pop off valve.

I wonder if they ever tried to run it at that pressure....maybe once.

These actually ran at 8 PSI max.
    PC7060CLambbburd