Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy vent

Frankfog2
Frankfog2 Member Posts: 25
edited November 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
Radiator on the second floor, the vent hisses at the end of the heating cycle after the boiler shuts off. Pressuretrol set at 0.8 PSI. Replaced the vent 3 times with different brands but the same sound is always present, (began with a vari valve, replaced with hoffman, gorton, now a maid o must #C). The radiator heats up fine and is quite throughout. This radiator is the last radiator on the main, the furthest from the boiler. The other radiators are quiet all the time. Is this normal operation or something wrong somewhere else 

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,938
    edited November 2023
    This is the system intaking air after the steam production has stopped and the steam has condensed (which reduces its volume to about 1/1700 what it was).

It is normal operation, but if it is annoying then you might look into a vacuum breaker in the basement. I don't have any direct experience with them but I have seen others recommend them. It might not help in your case (read on).

Basically if you have a long call for heat that closes all the vents, then the first vent that opens is the one that will have to let all the air back into the system, which can make it hiss.

My system does not suffer from this because on a typical call for heat, probably none of the radiators' vents actually close, so they all share in the job of letting air back into the system after the call for heat ends.

Does this happen on every call for heat, or for example only after a long call such as after a setback of the thermostat's temperature setting?

The location of the radiator might be involved but it can be tricky with the variables...if it is filling with steam after all the other radiators, then their vents are all closing while this one might remain open, and then will have to do all the "reverse venting" itself. This is where a vacuum breaker might not help. What I might focus on is lowering the length of your calls for heat and possibly slowing the venting rate of your radiators in general (although this is hard for me to determine from here)

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• Frankfog2
    Frankfog2 Member Posts: 25
    This is the system intaking air after the steam production has stopped and the steam has condensed (which reduces its volume to about 1/1700 what it was). It is normal operation, but if it is annoying then you might look into a vacuum breaker in the basement. I don't have any direct experience with them but I have seen others recommend them. It might not help in your case (read on). Basically if you have a long call for heat that closes all the vents, then the first vent that opens is the one that will have to let all the air back into the system, which can make it hiss. My system does not suffer from this because on a typical call for heat, probably none of the radiators' vents actually close, so they all share in the job of letting air back into the system after the call for heat ends. Does this happen on every call for heat, or for example only after a long call such as after a setback of the thermostat's temperature setting? The location of the radiator might be involved but it can be tricky with the variables...if it is filling with steam after all the other radiators, then their vents are all closing while this one might remain open, and then will have to do all the "reverse venting" itself. This is where a vacuum breaker might not help. What I might focus on is lowering the length of your calls for heat and possibly slowing the venting rate of your radiators in general (although this is hard for me to determine from here)
    It does not happen for every call of heat, it only really happens when there’s been a longer call. So similar to what you said. It almost sounds like a cicada, those annoying loud summer things.