Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Baseray Baseboard Bushing/Vent

dougie_d
dougie_d Member Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello, I have a nasty looking vent in the corner of a room. I suspect it leaked a long time ago and corroded. I just found it dripping again in the past week. I am afraid to touch it for fear of it breaking. I am also concerned a new bushing will be needed. I believe the bushing is 3/4" x 1/8". Is it even possible to safely remove the vent and or bushing?

Any recommendations on a plumber in North NJ is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    There are several. Check the find a contractor section of this site.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    If you are considering DIY, you will need to reduce the water pressure in the boiler to the point where air will get sucked in. If you work on it now, water will leak out, and that could be a problem.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• dougie_d
    dougie_d Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the replies!

Do you think just the vent can be replaced or will the bushing also need to be removed?

What are the chances the bushing even comes out?

Also, the house was built in 1959, is it safe to assume the bushing is 3/4" x 1/8" like seen in current Burnham documentation?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited November 2023
    The first thing is to drop the pressure and use a wire brush to get the gunk off that fitting so you can see where the leak is. The air vent is a different metal than the bushing, and that is most likely the source of the leak. Get another vent and be ready to remove the leaking vent only and replace it with the new vent. Remember you MUST lower the boiler pressure to ZERO if you do not want to get wet.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?