Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

About thermocupler

Hello, I have a Burnham furnace....model # P205BWNV
Serial # 17418377...when I turn the thermostat it clicks but it ain't coming on..the pilot is lit though. Could that be the thermocupler? If I'm using the right word.  I don't know anything about these things or the first thing to do. My neighbor says that is what he is sure it is. Thanks. 

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,741
    You really should get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it. Gas burning appliances can be quite dangerous.

That said, if there's a standing (always burning) pilot light & it's lit, it's not the thermocouple.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    If you and the neighbor do not know about thermocouples then you definitely should call a Pro for help.
    You both are in above your heads.
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,388
    Hello @Aquarius88,
    Sounds like you need a Pro to troubleshoot the system. Your neighbor is guessing, and apparently guessing wrong. If the thermocouple failed the pilot usually won't stay lit since the gas valve thinks there is no pilot flame and shuts off the gas to the pilot and the main burner.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,067
    Ask your neighbor to show you his credentials and insurance coverage. Bringing fire into a structure and heating water until it pressurizes is NOT DIY network material. It could be something simple or not. If you would bring it to my office, I could diagnose it better. Seriously, pay a pro.
    BTW, it is a "thermocouple"- not 'coupler'. Peace
    realliveplumber