Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is my theory right? (flocheck question...)

Options
Jacob_P
Jacob_P Member Posts: 10
I'm a DIYer, not a expert.

Recently bought a house. 2 zone oil furnace, hot water radiators.

Zone A (2nd floor) was not working properly. It seemed likely the circulator pump had gone.

We replaced the circulator pump. Everything was nice and toasty.

Then we realized that zone A was now getting TOO hot. We went as far as turning the thermostat all the way down in Zone A. But it seemed that when the thermostat in Zone B (first floor) kicked on, it was circulating heat to Zone A.

I dug deeper, and it seems that we had replaced the circulator pump that HAD a flow check (Taco 007-F5-7IFC). With a nearly identical model *except* it had no flow check (Taco 007-F5)

I feel like 90 percent sure that the solve is for us to swap out the circulator to the version with the flow check.

I'm very novice and inexperienced in this area though, and thought I'd throw it out there to this super knoweledgeable group and see if there were any alternate opinions...

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,161
    Options
    I wonder if it is possible that the check could be added to the circs you have. If you remove one see if the discharge port had been bored for the check to be installed

Are the circs on the supply or return at the boiler?
    With circs on the return, sometimes you need check on the supply also

Ask the Taco people that are on the site about adding the checks to that model
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SteveSanMikeAmann
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 235
    Options
    @Jacob_P if your 007-F5 was manufactured after 2016, which you state you purchased new. The discharge port will accept an IFC check valve. Part number is 0010-025RP. Unfortunately Taco is closed today but will be available on Monday if you have any questions. Technical Services is available Mon-Fri 8am-5PM EST 401-942-8000 and just ask for TS.
    hot_rod
  • Jacob_P
    Options
    Very helpful guys. would be awesome to not replace the whole pump and just add the check valve.
    hot_rod said:

Are the circs on the supply or return at the boiler?

I'm pretty sure that it's the supply. But now that you asked, I realized I'm not 100 percent sure how the furnace works. Here's a pic in case that helps diagnose

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Looks like you have the right kind of circulator pump so you can just add the check valve to it.
    Your system looks like it is installed properly and should give you years of comfort.
    If you still have the old pump, you can try to carefully remove the check valve from that pump. It is difficult and I have broken that check valve trying to remove them as many times as I have been successful in removing them. You need a needle nose pliers and lots of patients

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Zman
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 603
    Options

they are right where you said they should be! off the tee and elbow
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options
    Good eye @dko

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Jacob_P
    Options
    This is amazingly helpful. Thanks so much guys. Gonna give a shot adding the check valve to the current pump and will report back 🤞🤞🤞. No way I would have figured this all out without some expert advice.
    EdTheHeaterManAlan (California Radiant) ForbesSteveSanMikeAmann
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,161
    Options
    A good air purger would have been a nice addition. It looks like two different sized circulators, so the checks may be different.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream