Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does anyone know what these crystal looking things coming from chimney are?

Options
Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 274
Does anyone know what these crystal looking things coming from chimney are? Is it something of a concern. One of my customers showed it to me- ive never seen such a thing before. They can be found behind the door of the cleanout at base of chimney
thx
Joe

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Salt crystals. Acids combine with the alkaline mortar to for soluble salts that can crystalize. Acid + base > salt + water.
    STEVEusaPA
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,945
    Options
    Byproducts of combustion have many trace chemicals that just get vented into the atmosphere including carbonic acid and sulfuric acid. Condensation of flue gasses can sometimes collect those trace molecules from the interior surface of the chimney liner. When the water mixes in with that stuff that has been accumulating for years and years, they get washed down to the base of the chimney and form crystals of all sorts of things from the chemistry department. You may have a condensation issue with your newer heater and your older chimney liner. Maybe it is time to replace that terracotta liner with a Stainless Steel liner?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,876
    Options
    Time to get a liner in that chimney 
  • Joseph_4
    Joseph_4 Member Posts: 274
    Options
    is there a reason this doesnt happen to everyone? many people have gas boilers that are 50 years old before stainless steel liners and automatic vent dampers came about and I've never seen this?
    Joe
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,876
    Options
    Joseph_4 said:

is there a reason this doesnt happen to everyone? many people have gas boilers that are 50 years old before stainless steel liners and automatic vent dampers came about and I've never seen this?
    Joe

Old oil heat ran High exhaust temperatures.
    80% gas ran high enough in Most cases.
    Newer equipment runs much cooler, allowing the exhaust gasses too condense before exiting.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Crystal-meth stash hiding spot. :D
    reggi