Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

just asking professionals

Options
thuntington
thuntington Member Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Oil Heating
Hi - trying to save money i purchased a used peerless oil boiler (photos) attached to replace my very old peerless boiler. The person i purchased it from said it was appx 6 years old and was in use just prior to it being removed. Do you think it is a good idea to install it? what could i have a tech do to test it to see if it makes sense to install it? Two issues I can see - on the plate of the hot water coil whoever removed it cut it to close and did not remove the thread, can that be corrected?, second where the burner goes it seems as the insulation has been damaged what should or can be done with that?

be done with that?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,904
    edited November 2023
    Options
    All those parts can be replaced. So a 6 year old boiler is probably OK to use in order to replace a very old boiler.

Will you be using the tankless coil for Domestic hot Water? That will need to be replaced if yes. If the coil is not leaking, then just leave it abandoned if you are not going to use it. Some time in the future you can get a blank cover plate with an opening for the aquastat.

The Combustion Chamber can have a little crack in it. but you can not have parts of the chamber missing. And depending on the DHW situation you will want to set up the boiler for cold start for heat only or for DHW if you get the replacement coil.

Will you have it installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions? Or are you just going to Wing-It

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,012
    Options
    Peerless is a Workhorse of a Boiler.  As long as the block is good, all components, gaskets, et cetera can be easily replaced. Get a Good oil burner guy to set it up.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    ethicalpaulCLambEdTheHeaterMan
  • thuntington
    Options
    Thank you both for the replies.
  • thuntington
    Options
    Why can't the current coil be fixed?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options

Why can't the current coil be fixed?

You don't fix them, you replace them. I'd be a little nervous about that Hydrostat too. Make sure you check out the safeties before you let it run.

My only other concern is the boiler properly sized to match your heating load. And what are you using for a burner/air tube/end cone/nozzle.

And of course who's going to properly set up combustion.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Did they say why it was removed?

If it's not leaking water it should be fine if you didn't pay to much for it.
    Mad Dog_2
  • thuntington
    Options
    Thanks I just ordered a replacement 5 gpm from AF Supply - Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
    MaxMercyMad Dog_2