Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uneven loops

Options
So how bad is it to have uneven PEX loop runs to aluminum plates?
I've got four rooms on the second floor - large, medium, small and smallest (the bathroom). It only makes sense to have one loop per room. And, there are physical barriers that would be difficult to get around to combine or average them in some other way.

So that means my loop runs are going to be like 200 ft, 200 ft, 120 ft and 100 ft. Aren't they supposed to be within 10% of each other? What bad thing is going to happen if I ignore that guidance?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    Not much -- if you have things arranged so that you can balance the flow in them. You'll want to be able to reduce the flow in the smaller loops.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    Are the loops going to a manifold? That is the best place to balance those small flow rates.
    Those manifold flow setters typically go down to .25 gpm
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • SteamtoHotWater
    SteamtoHotWater Member Posts: 122
    Options
    The loops are going to a manifold with flow control on each loop - so that's good. But I need to read up on the appropriate way to balance things, no idea on what I'm doing. Currently have the system running on for the first floor with whatever defaults the manifold came with. Seems to be working well enough. Once I have the second floor hooked up and running I'll revisit - priorities.
    Thanks for the answers.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    A few choices, if you have a heat load and design sheet, it will indicate the required temperature and flow for each loop. Without that information it will be mostly trial and error. Most balancing will need to be done when you are at or near a design condition.
    The system needs to perform and provide even heat under the coldest conditions.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream