Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low pressure on hot water and also cold water.

Options
I have a system 2000 boiler. It has a heat exchanger for hot water.
I back flush the heat exchanger every month so it does not clog.
I back flushed it two months ago and at that time (not sure of the exact term to use) the whole system vibrated or shook. But everything seemed to work fine.
But after that I noticed that hot water pressure is not like before.
If it took two minutes to fill a bucket now it takes 4 minutes.
Also, cold water pressure is low. And maybe because of this enough cold water is not mixing with the hot water. Temperature of hot water is fine.
So, I am asking if anything in the boiler would make the water pressure low?
Or, it could be the cold water tank and the water coming from the well that is the issue?

Let me know.
Thank you

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    Do you have a pressure gauge on the well tank? You should... if so, what does it read? Is it low, or is it a problem downstream from the pressure tank?

It is highly unlikely that anything in the boiler could affect the cold water pressure in your system. So what is needed is to find out where in the cold water supply you are losing pressure. If there is a filter, it could be clogged. Could be the pressure switch for the pump is malfunctioning. Could be that for some reason the pump is not able to bring your system up to pressure and shut off the pressure switch (could be the pump. Could also be a leak in the line from the pump to the pressure switch).

So -- step one. Find out if the pump can bring the system up to pressure, and if the pressure switch is turning on and off at the desired pressures.

You can then decide which side of the system --before or after the pressure tank and switch -- you need to look at furnter.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Larry Weingarten
  • zaveri001
    zaveri001 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you Jamie Hall. The water tank pressure guage is good and reads between 35 and 60. I have seen it functioning and go up when water is needed from well and stops little below 60. Then it goes down to about 35 and starts bringing in water again. I called the plumber about it as I did not know. Seems to be functioning fine. The tank is new. Like a year old. As, I mentioned that I noticed the pressure after the one time two months ago when I was doing the back flush for the heat exchanger. I do not have a filter on the system. I am not too technical, so let me know what next I can look at?
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    That is very encouraging, and eliminates problems with the well, the pump, the line to the house, the pressure switch, and the expansion tank. Makes life much simpler.

Without knowing what the rest of the plumbing looks like after the pressure tank, however, I really don't know what you should check next. It would seem, however, that either something got clogged when you tried to flush the heat exchanger, or a valve didn't get fully open after that procedure. I would say, though, that if you have any kind of filter or water treatment device on the system, that is the first place I would look.. Do you have any faucets or hose connections before such things?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • zaveri001
    zaveri001 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks again Jamie Hall. The piping is all copper. I turn off a on/off (parallel/perpendicular - the yellow handle on top left in front of the water tank) valve for cold water feeding into heat exchanger. Below this valve is a regulator (little below the yellow handle). Above the valve is the faucet to which I connect a pipe to reverse flush the heat exchanger. So, the parallel/perpendicular value and the faucet are the two things that I touch for reverse flush. Picture attached. Let me know what you think. Could it be that the yellow handle valve is not working properly even though it is parallel (open) or the regulator below that could cause some issue. Thanks again.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Are any of those common to both hot and cold? That's what you are looking for, as I understand it.
    Br. Jamie, osb