Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water feed to toilet or water closet replacement issue

Options
RTW
RTW Member Posts: 60
I replaced the water feed to 2nd floor toilet with flexible metal nut connector that enters the toilet. It has metal threads to metal nut and no issues. However. the downstairs bath toilet has a plastic connection and seems locked on to the plastic nut and turned only enough to leak water out. Id like to unfreeze the plastic connection to replace with a recommended metal nut ( I understand the plastic nut is prone to failure over time). Question: can I use PB blaster to loosen it or what would experts recommend? Regards, Bob

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Hi, Sadly, I don't have a clear picture in my head of what you describe. Could you post a photo? I would not use any solvent on plastic. However, you might be able to use a heat gun on the plastic nut to expand it slightly, and hopefully get things to move.

Yours, Larry
    Intplm.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    You might have to cut the plastic fill valve out of the tank and replace it with a new fill valve. Maybe whomever originally installed it stripped the threads
    Mad Dog_2
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,975
    Options

Hi, Sadly, I don't have a clear picture in my head of what you describe. Could you post a photo? I would not use any solvent on plastic. However, you might be able to use a heat gun on the plastic nut to expand it slightly, and hopefully get things to move.

Yours, Larry

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,994
    Options
    I know what you're talking about but a picture helps.  As My buddy Ed says, cut the whole thing out before you skin your knuckles or break the toilet tank with undue force.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • RTW
    Options
    Appreciate the answers. Especially Not forcing anything that could make matters worse. I plan to check it out this morning and will just leave the plastic connection on rather than change it out. The heat gun sounds like its worth a try though Regards, Bob
  • RTW
    Options
    FOLLOW UP RESULT: I aborted the intended change to replace the standard metal messed water feed due to fact the plastic nut to the toilet must be cross threaded and unable to remove. However, when I put things back to the way they were, the connection was LEAKING water where the plastic lock nut tightens in direct contact with the porcelain ( not the other connection BELOW IT). I applied Recordseal 5 between the locknut and porcelain as well as the connection inside the toilet tank ( this product has been reviewed on this site) and the leak went away. Regards, Bob
    Intplm.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    @RTW

That leak will likely come back. Keep your eye on it so you don't get a flood.
    mattmia2Mad Dog_2
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    I would replace the fill valve and the line.  The parts are inexpensive and could save you considerable water damage.
    Mad Dog_2hot_rod
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,994
    Options
    Ticking time bomb...Pipe dope is not capable of holding back any Water Pressure.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    ethicalpaul
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    The connection going in to the toilet has a rubber gasket inside. Usually all you have to do is tighten the jam nut down more and it will stop leaking. However, if the fill line nut is seized on, and it is leaking out the bowl connection, I would just change it all out to new. Just reach inside the tank and hold the fill valve while using channelocks to take the nut off.
    Rick
  • RTW
    Options
    "rick in Alaska" got the issue I have correct! I used Rectorseal 5 ( reviewed on this site as very good) that stopped the leak between the gasket inside the tank and the jam nut outside. Everything had been fine until I messed with it to replace the water feed with one with all metal connections after being told these plastic nut on the feed tube ( not the jam nut) can sometimes fail. I realize the part inside the tank is probably 30 plus years old, but works fine. Im a bit cautious about replacement parts that may not be as good as a proven reliable old part - mainly due to concerns over controlled obsolesce and anticipated inferior quality. However, I will monitor the situation and look into parts at a Plumbing Supply place. Regards, Bob
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,975
    Options
    The plastic on supply tubes used on toilet supply lines is fine. No concerns at all.
    It really just comes down to preference.
    Over the years I have installed both plastic and brass. Both are fine.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    Is the ballcock brass? The same degradation that can happen to the plastic nut can happen to a whole plastic ballcock.