Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question on install of hot water garage ceiling unit heater

Options
I am a DIYer installing a Modine horizontal hot water ceiling unit heater in the garage. The water will be supplied through a dedicated zone. I was going to use a Honeywell round (2 wire) t-stat like the house zones use. Unfortunately, I hadn't been thinking about what tells the fan to come on, but I am now.
The manual doesn't provide much guidance. The label on the connection box on the unit says something about a line voltage t-stat. Appreciate any enlightenment on how this has to be set up.
Thanks much.

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    The Aqaustat...Mad Dog 🐕 
    mattmia2
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    edited November 2023
    Options
    The thermostat turns on the pump . Use a "B or reverse" aquastat ,which makes on temperature rise, mounted on the return pipe , The B turns on the fan when unit heat up . Normally run line voltage

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• DIYCharlie
    DIYCharlie Member Posts: 13
    Options
    O.K., I just started looking at aquastats for the fan. Seems like the strap-on type should work, correct?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    A simple snap disc type on the hot supply at the heater

you can get adjustable of fixed temperature there are are limit and fan version

the fan version makes in temperature rise
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Rickoo
    Rickoo Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Recently installed one of these. Works fine. Not sure if it was the best option.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ranco-ETC-111000-000-Single-Stage-ETC-Temperature-Control-w-8-Sensor-120-240V-Input
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,870
    Options
    Does this garage see below freezing temperatures normally?
    mattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,572
    Options
    @DIYCharlie

Most use the thermostat to start the circulator and or boiler depending on how the boiler is operated. Then use a strap on aquastat L6006C to power the fan when the supply pipe gets hot although there are cheaper options such as what @hot_rod posted.

If the garage can get below freezing, then that has to be considered. A heat exchanger off the boiler with glycol is the best but it gets pricy with everything you need.

mattmia2
  • Big Ed_4
    Options
    Hot Rod , why on the supply pipe ?

mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    You can use an aquastat on the pipe or you can use a relay controlled by the thermostat. The relay is probably cheaper but it will blow cold air until the hot water gets there from the boiler. Could use a time delay off the thermostat to avoid the cold air.

Or you can control it all off a Crestron processor like i did.
  • Rickoo
    Rickoo Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Yes, why on the supply? I have mine on the return just off the heater, although not really sure why. My thinking was if the return is hot the unit would have to be, and only then have the fan come on.
    pecmsg
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    I suppose it would depend on the temperature setting of the the switch
    If you put it on the return, you might use a lower temperature setting

First you need to decide on the SWT
    ODR would complicate that. 

Myson kick heaters come with a 120- 105 clip on switch

The switch would need to work down to the lowest SWT, however that is controlled

Electric water heaters and many furnaces are controlled with those reliable , inexpensive snap disc switches, they work well

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Big Ed_4
    Options
    I always install them on the return and set them to 120* , so it would not blow cool air .

• DIYCharlie
    DIYCharlie Member Posts: 13
    Options

I bought the below strap-on control that will make on temperature rise.
    The garage will only get below freezing if utility power goes out and my generator doesn't work. I'm not using anti-freeze, so in that situation the house will also be freezing, and I suppose I will be scrambling to drain everything and sitting in front of the fireplace.

Thanks for the help all.

Johnson Controls A19DAC-1C