Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler with corroded return connection

Dberb
Dberb Member Posts: 2
I have a leak where the condensate return connects to my boiler. This connection is on the back of the unit, way down at the bottom of the unit. The rust/corrosion extends under the unit a bit as well. I’m looking for advice on how to proceed. Images attached and more info below.

The boiler is a Burnham Hydronics Megasteam, installed in 2009. The leak was discovered on Friday by a plumber doing work on my water heater, but he said his company wouldn’t be able to fix the boiler. My heating company came out yesterday and said that they don’t do this kind of work, and that a plumber should fix it. 🤦‍♀️ 

I do get the boiler maintained annually by my heating company (my last annual maintenance visit was in May). The boiler is still working.

I’m wondering:
1. How long should a (properly maintained) Burnham Megasteam boiler last?
2. Can this corrosion be repaired? And what type of contractor should I hire to do it?
3. How angry should I be at my heating company for failing to discover this issue earlier? I’m assuming it’s been corroding and leaking for a while, but I wouldn’t know how long.

Thank you for your assistance!

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,235
    You need to find a competent heating company. They would be able to replace the pipe or tell you if the boiler is leaking somewhere above the pipe. If it is just the pipe it should be able to be replaced. It the boiler is leaking above and on to the pipe, it is time for a new boiler unless some other connection is leaking on the boiler.
    ethicalpaulMad Dog_2Dberb
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,359
    It very well could just be a rotted black nipple in to the boiler. Mad Dog 🐕 
    Dberb
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,006
    Most likely it is just the black nipple that has had a small weeping hole for years. When the boiler gets hot it evaporates the water and leaves a mees of minerals behind. They usually look worse than they are.

Post your location and check "find a contractor" on this site. Someone may have a recommendation
    Mad Dog_2Dberb
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,087
    Almost certainly the piping and not the boiler. Pretty straightforward repair. Remove the bad piping and put in some new piping.
    Mad Dog_2Dberb
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,359
    Beware of anyone who comes in and INSISTS you need a new boiler without getting down on their hands and knees and examining closely.   Mad Dog 🐕 
    Dberb