Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Giant Hole in Giant Pipe

Options
watercress
watercress Member Posts: 31
edited November 2023 in Gas Heating
This is a toilet drain. Toilet has been off for several years. It appears there has always been a small leak given the drywall in bathroom below shows signs of small leak over time.

After finally replacing the toilet with new one and turning water on, a good amount of water was leaking downstairs. Thought maybe I didn't seat the toilet right and redid that. So I tore the drywall out to reveal this pretty big hole in the drain pipe for toilet:

The pipe is about 4 inches thick or so.
Its gotta be from deterioration over time I would think, as I don't see how frozen pipes could cause that given there's no water in the pipe unless flushing.

I've never fixed a pipe this big before so I'm wondering what I should do.

Thanks.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,317
    Options
    Hi, That's a copper pipe, which is a quality and fire safe way of doing things, but clearly it has corroded through along its bottom side. I'd expect this thinning from corrosion along the bottom of any horizontal pipe. Certainly it can be patched temporarily, but if plastics, like ABS or PVC are allowed, I'd start switching over to one of those materials as they are not affected by this sort of corrosion.

Yours, Larry
    ChrisJMikeAmannMad Dog_2
  • watercress
    Options
    It can be patched? Or do I need to cut it out and solder new pipe in like with a normal copper pipe breakage?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,366
    Options
    Well... it could be patched. There's not much pressure there. However. If it has corroded through in one location, I'd more or less assume that the rest of the pipe is at least getting thin. I'd replace the whole section.

That is not going to be easy. You don't have much clearance to wood framing there, so be ultra careful how you wave that torch around, and have a bucket of water for when things start to char.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,567
    Options
    @watercress

A couple of ways to do a temp patch but I don't think that is what you want.

You could replace the copper.

or If the rest of the copper to the right looks ok you could use a Fernco rubber copper to plastic(ABS or PVC) adapter and run plastic up to the toilet with a new flange
    mattmia2
  • Teemok
    Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 496
    Options
    That looks like an acid channel. Maybe an owner had a drain-o habit or had very acidic urine or cleaned the bowl with vinegar all the time. I'd bet the bottom is thin for some distance down that pipe. Temporary patch: careful flat rubber and silicone with very light hose clamp force. Larry is right, replace as much as you can reasonably with plastic.
    Larry WeingartenMad Dog_2
  • watercress
    Options
    Well I suppose if doing this right requires replacing the flange then atleast I'll be able to install it the right way. Previous builder has almost all of them in the house facing the wrong direction, so I've had to use washers to jerry rig the toilet bolts in place.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    The bend radius of the PVC elbow is going to be greater than the copper - IOW it's not a direct fit replacement. You might have to do some careful trimming of the new fitting to make it fit.
    Mad Dog_2Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,193
    Options
    It looks like 3” copper, so probably 3-1/8” od.
    Follow it back to where it is in good shape, maybe back to the next brass fitting.
    Replace it with PVC or ABS. They make a transition coupling to go from copper to plastic, or a French rubber coupling
    A new flange and 3” ell
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • Teemok
    Options
    French rubber coupling sounds sus. What the heck is that? No hub or frenco?
    Mad Dog_2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,317
    Options
    Hi @watercress , I should ask where you are. I know that San Francisco has rules against using plastics over concerns of fire spreading too easily through buildings. Local code affects the advice we can give you. It's unusual for a drain line to be done in copper unless it's done to satisfy code.

Yours, Larry
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,702
    Options
    someone's fernco got auto corrected
    Teemok
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,702
    Options

Hi @watercress , I should ask where you are. I know that San Francisco has rules against using plastics over concerns of fire spreading too easily through buildings. Local code affects the advice we can give you. It's unusual for a drain line to be done in copper unless it's done to satisfy code.

Yours, Larry

Or it was done in the 60's to early 70's when they stopped using steel and cast iron so much but pvc was still new.
  • watercress
    edited November 2023
    Options
    It's in Alaska and built around 1965, after the earthquake.

I don't mind just putting copper back in, I've always replaced everything else with same material it was built with. But 3 inch copper pipe isn't something they sell at Lowes. Going to check with a plumber supply store come Monday.

That being said, there is PVC in certain places throughout the home. Kitchen sink drain in the wall looks PVC. And there's PVC in the walls in the basement laundry room, which is I think where all the drains from toilets etc meets up before going to the city sewer, although I'm not entirely sure yet.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,026
    Options
    French Coupling? Was that a Typo?  Never heard of that.  If you wanna try to patch it fir now.  Clean the rotted area up wit a 3 M Pad, wipe clean and dry and use a 2 part epoxy over it.  That could get you by for a few more years.  Otherwise, you'd be best getting a good plumber to cut it out and replace properly.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Teemok
    Options
    "Frenco" when your spelling is worse than an auto correct mistake.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Frenchie....Mad Dog 🐕 
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Copper DWV was common back when I started plumbing with my Dad in the 1960. I hoarded a few of those old copper DWV fittings. Like this closet flange base on the copper harp.

I think DWV copper tube had a yellow stripe to identify it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    heatheadMad Dog_2reggiLarry Weingarten
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    What is that thing? A church organ?
    You can't use it in California if the solder has lead.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,166
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Hi @watercress , I should ask where you are. I know that San Francisco has rules against using plastics over concerns of fire spreading too easily through buildings. Local code affects the advice we can give you. It's unusual for a drain line to be done in copper unless it's done to satisfy code. Yours, Larry
    Or it was done in the 60's to early 70's when they stopped using steel and cast iron so much but pvc was still new.
    Agree. My old house had 2” copper drain and vent in the section that was added in that time frame (late 60s)
    Mad Dog_2
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,016
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I'd wrap it in Denso tape which is a polypropylene fleece saturated with a petroleum compound that repels water. Messy to use, but gets the job done.

https://www.amazon.com/Densyl-Tape-Shipping-Located-DENTAPE50MM/dp/B001OXDD6K/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2G7SCD50ME68&keywords=denso+tape&qid=1699231611&sprefix=denso,aps,140&sr=8-2&th=1
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yes D.W.V. copper is Yellow.  The Levitt Houses were plumbed in it...Great system Mad Dog 🐕 
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Frenchie....Mad Dog 🐕 

Shame on me for omitting the superior Italian Coupling. Much more stylish too 👔
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    PC7060Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I think the original Sovent system, back in the late 1950s was a copper system with the special aerator and deareator fittings. A single vent thru the roof.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 522
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    Copper DWV was common back when I started plumbing with my Dad in the 1960. I hoarded a few of those old copper DWV fittings. Like this closet flange base on the copper harp. I think DWV copper tube had a yellow stripe to identify it.
    I think you may have something @Mad Dog_2  doesn't have in his collection 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    At one time I was the Sanford & Son of Long Ian's and Eastern Queens Plumbing & Heating, and had my 1899 Barn filled with antiquities and treasures. To the Hay loft!! Dan saw it, Steamhead Saw it and Noel Murdough (RIP) not only saw it but we'd spend hours on the weekends sifting through stuff and drinking beer 😉.
    .talking About The Steam and injection mixing...et cetera.. The Man was a Genius like Dan and Steamhead, Hot Rod,, Rich Mc Grath, ClammyGraham, Etheridge Jim Davis,, Mark Hunt....sorry if I left anyone out..Great memories. But when I found out HH had w little museum I brought stuff there. 

A few years later, Dan, TLM & The Elves were relocating to another store and I took some of the stuff and what I had to Prof Eugene Silverstone the Director of Suffolk County CC HVAC program.  I loaded the Triple Crown Box 📦 Truck and Eugene gleefully took it and displayed it proudly.

I recently called and emailed that Suffolk CC HVAC Department and emailed multiple times. Once Eugene Left...I have new things to bring there but get ZERO response.  If anyone from Suffolk CC sees this please contact me yea or nea...Thanks Mad Dog 🐕