Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combining pipes to minimize runs on new hydronic system

Options
jeremypbeasley
jeremypbeasley Member Posts: 19
edited November 2023 in Radiant Heating
Building my first hydronic system as a homeowner. 15 original Rocco radiators, all new 1/2" hePEX home runs to 1" Uponor manifolds.

My space is extremely limited and I have to put one manifold near the boiler and the other two about 12' away. In order to limit the amount of steel pipe I need to run, I want to minimize the amount of steel pipe I'm running.

I have two options:

A ) Pumps close to the boiler, 3 individual pipes running the hot lines, combined cold lines

B ) Far less pipe, pumps closer to the individual manifolds, combined lines for hot and cold

Of these two options, which is more ideal and why?

It's nice to have all the pumps and wiring confined to one space, but it's a lot more challenging to make that space work, especially for a very novice plumber.

I'd greatly appreciate any other off-topic criticism of my diagram and plans.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    Either one will work fine. It's more a matter of convenience, really. There is something to be said for having evrything in more or less one place, but ... really, I'd say take your pick. Do watch your pipe sizes and velocities, though -- you may need a bigger pipe for the longer run option.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    jeremypbeasley
  • jeremypbeasley
    jeremypbeasley Member Posts: 19
    Options

Either one will work fine. It's more a matter of convenience, really. There is something to be said for having evrything in more or less one place, but ... really, I'd say take your pick. Do watch your pipe sizes and velocities, though -- you may need a bigger pipe for the longer run option.

Thanks a ton! Any tips on how I go about determining pipe size? I assume it starts with a GPM calc, but beyond know the GPM demand, I'm not clear on how to move forward. What's coming out of the boiler itself is only 1.25" so I assume going any larger would be pointless.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    How many rads on each manifold ? You could quite probably use 1 manifold with actuators and run 1/2 homeruns to each rad . How many zones are you planning on having ? 1 1/4" would be sufficient .

You should call or contact Rococo and have them verify weather the rated outputs are based on a 50* Delta between water temp and room temp or water temp drop while in the radiator . 1 circulator will almost certainly be large enough because your head will be very low .

You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    You should really have a room by room load calc to see what output you need from each of those radiators. Then you work the tube sizing and circ selection from there

Could be some rooms need 8000 btu/ hr, some may only need 1000

If they are all getting the same temperature one circ could possibly supply all three remote manifolds.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Teemok
    Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 496
    Options
    Option A. How many GPM the manifolds need will determine pipe size. Go with bigger pipe vs a bigger pump generally. Your boiler has a minimum flow rate and if it's cast iron or fin tube it may need minimum return temperature protection. The radiators flow needs may not match the boilers needs. Water temperature and flow numbers and boiler type and size choice please?