Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

4 pipe buffer tank with all connections on the same side?

Options
stihl_vines
stihl_vines Member Posts: 1
edited October 2023 in Plumbing
I was rushed into purchasing a 172 gal buffer tank with an indoor wood boiler (65k BTU) over the phone without seeing its schematic first. I assumed it would have 4 connections with at least two on opposite sides. Turns out there are six 1" connections. 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom ALL ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE TANK (all in line, see attached drawing). Typically for a 4 pipe buffer tank set up you want water to be able to glide across from one side to the other if there is a load call while the boiler in on. With this tank it wont happen. Can I still do a 4 pipe or will it ruin the stratification? Should I switch to a 2 or 3 pipe set up? Typically you want large headers going into a 2 pipe set up with smaller heat source piping coming in and load pipe going out at a tee. I feel 1" is a little small for those headers given that if you make the piping from the boiler and load smaller it might struggle to carry the 60k BTUs. Thanks.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    Use double tapped bushings in the tank. That will allow you to send the water to the other side of the tank.

The other thing you can do if your running copper tubing is use a compression x male adapter and drill it out the size of the copper tubing like it has no stop. Then you can extend the tubing into the tank.

Or use @hot_rod recent invention.

Take a copper sweat x male adapter and drill that out the size of the tubing and slide it on the tubing and sweat the adapter on. The tubing slides through the male adapter.
    MikeAmannEdTheHeaterMan
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Now here is a man that uses his head for more than a place to put his hat!
    EdTheHeaterMan