Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quieter zone valves than Taco Zone Sentry

jeff4444
jeff4444 Member Posts: 26
I currently have zone sentry Z075P2–2 two way valves installed.  My house is very open and quiet. When these valves open or close, the winding noise is loud.

Can any quieter actuators be installed on these bodies or would a new valve be required all together?  Are the Taco 571 valves much quieter? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Thermal actuator type valves will be silent. Any motorized or spring return type ZV will make some noise.

Most all of the newer designed thermal actuators are low current draw type, 250 mA, 3W holding current.

Here is an option. It has a unique Twistop actuator for manual opening and green indicator when open. Various connection types and sizes available.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/656354 - Product Overview - Caleffi.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jeff4444
    Thanks Bob. That does look good. It looks like the three-quarter inch 656314 would work well in my case.  Any problem with mounting it such that the actuator is horizontal? That would fit in the spaces I have.
  • hot_rod
    Any position for mounting. Try to avoid the actuator hanging below, in case of a leak it would run into the electrics. You can run 7 or so of these on a 40Va transformer.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • jeff4444
    That should work, thanks, Bob. I think I’ll try one and just make sure it all works out and then do the rest of them. 
  • Are you sure you have the newer actuator? They're pretty quiet.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • jeff4444
    It has a date code of June 20 20 it looks like. 06/20.
  • jeff4444
    Looks like your picture, too, I should have said.
  • OK, then. You've got the updated actuator.

Among zone valves, Taco's are the loudest of this design.

• jeff4444
    I guess I’m going to try a thermal actuator then and make sure that works OK. The taco works great, it’s just a noise.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 709
    I have 13 taco zone sentry valves installed in my home, and they are very quiet. I know I might sound biased, but really don't think they are noisy at all. Taco does offer the 571 valve heat motor design which is virtually silent. you can certainly try them. they are very robust, and will las for many quiet years:)
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • jeff4444
    edited October 2023
    thanks. Every time they open here, in the basement, you hear the winding sound on floor 1. Unfortunately 2 were installed in a bedroom closet and this is the bigger problem. Two zones opening and closing will drive a light sleeper somewhat crazy! :)
  • jeff4444
    I am considering the 571 as well, thanks. The install doc says they should only be mounted vertically however which might be a space problem. Existing ones are mounted horizontally and that would be the better replacement plan.
  • hot_rod
    It comes down to how much you like a silent home :)

My 70 year old ears can barely hear that valve closing on my shop bench. Others with better or normal :) hearing could probably hear it across the room. If the piping touches any framing or sheetrock, that seems to magnify / transmit the noise

Thermal actuators are used on radiant manifolds, sometimes mounted in closets next to a sleeping area, and they are completely quiet.

The Belimo ball type zone valve is very quiet. I just compared both.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • jeff4444
    would be really nice if there was a quiet actuator I could install on the existing, and plumbed, taco valves.
    hot_rod
  • @hot_rod How does Belimo compare to Caleffi soundwise?

• hot_rod
    I credit Belimo with giving you a lot of data on their components. I also applaud SupplyHouse for adding that tech and submittal info on most of the products they sell.

In this case they show the noise level of that Belimo actuator.
    35 dB That is about the level of a persons whisper.

Personally I cannot hear it open a close at all. But I am in the hearing aid years now :)

I have a decibel ap on my phone, I could record both. I think the Taco Sentry is still a spring return, hence the fast close. When you wind a gear train fast, a 7 sec close, that is where you hear spring return valves.
    I thought Taco mentioned slowing down that close off, that would reduce noise I suspect.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Belimo-Z2075Q-K-CQKB24-RR-Submittal-Sheet.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • The original Taco ESP (Energy Saving Principle) zone valves were noisy, even behind access panels, insulation and closet doors. You could even hear them far away in the mechanical room. It sounded like gears grinding for about 10 seconds. If it's a quiet house, it was very annoying.

The new Zone Sentry's make a much more muted sound than the ESP's; opening and closing. Not a grinding sound; more like a motor. You still hear them, especially in a quiet house.

My wife is always talking to me, but I'm unable to repeat anything she's told me. She had me take an audiology test two weeks ago and it came back normal. I told her I would remember more of what she told me if she only told me about the important things. That went over well.

TeemokIronmanDave H_2