Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help removing shower handle

Options
newpip
newpip Member Posts: 5
Trying to do some home plumbing and fix a leaky shower head.

I’ve removed the set screw, but can’t seem to get the handle off. Have tried twisting the spacer (which spins freely) as well as pulling both the handle and the spacer. Can anyone help?

I’m eventually trying replace the cartridge as that seems to be the most likely solution. Making things a bit more challenging, I can’t find the model or even the brand of the handle to google how to remove the handle - the brand nor model don’t appear to be on the handle or behind the trim plate.

The shower head is Moen, but when I contacted them to ask for assistance, they said the handle isn’t theirs (The shower head and handle came with the house when we bought it so we don’t know what the handle brand is or where it came from).

Hoping someone can help… If I can remove the handle, then I'm assuming the cartridge will have a visible model number.

Pics below. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,679
    Options
    Did you look at the bottom of the handle? That set screw that is visible looks like it is for the escutcheon and there is probably another set screw for the handle in the bottom of the handle.
  • newpip
    Options
    Thanks - unfortunately, there's only one screw on the escutcheon and nothing on the handle. No screws, no cover hiding a screw... nothing except the handle. Am going a little bonkers.
  • Lyle {pheloa} Carter
    Options
    I don't know if this helps, but looking at the trim behind the wall it looks like the shower valve is a Kohler K-309, I'm not familiar with the design of the handle. But many of the Kohler shower valves I encounter the chrome sleeve which is attached to the handle will Twist Off counterclockwise releasing the handle. I hope this helps
    mattmia2Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,975
    Options

I don't know if this helps, but looking at the trim behind the wall it looks like the shower valve is a Kohler K-309, I'm not familiar with the design of the handle. But many of the Kohler shower valves I encounter the chrome sleeve which is attached to the handle will Twist Off counterclockwise releasing the handle. I hope this helps

Agreed. @Lyle (pheloa) Carter is correct. It does "look like" a Kohler shower valve.
    @newpip it should turn at the sleeve that is on the valve and not at the wall escutcheon. You should be able to turn it by hand.
  • newpip
    edited October 2023
    Options
    @Lyle (pheloa) Carter
    Intplm. said:

Agreed. @Lyle (pheloa) Carter is correct. It does "look like" a Kohler shower valve.
    @newpip it should turn at the sleeve that is on the valve and not at the wall escutcheon. You should be able to turn it by hand.
    Thank you! I messaged Kohler and they confirmed it is a Kohler. Kohler Taboret Model K-T8228-4A-CP with Handle 21634. They weren't exactly sure how to get the handle off. One person suggested what you did... twisting the sleeve. They said to twist the skirt (A), but that spins freely and doesn't do anything. Could they have meant the bonnet (B)? I haven't been able to get that to twist separately from the handle, but if you think that's it, then I'll use more force.

Thank you again!!

• mattmia2
    Options
    I think b unscrews and slides back enough to get to the setscrews. now that yo know what it is called you can find the instructions for that trim.
    Intplm.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Maybe it just pushes on. The instructions say to install the adapter to the stem then install the handle but don't say how to install the handle.

Here are the instructions:
    https://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1087997-2.pdf
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Look carefully at page 9, the handle screws in to part "b" in your picture.
  • newpip
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Look carefully at page 9, the handle screws in to part "b" in your picture.
    That was it! Thank you!

It was stuck on there pretty tight, but I was able to take the entire unit out of the wall by unscrewing the two screws in the metal plate. Based on your advice,  I then soaked part B in vinegar and water, and also sprayed in some liquid wrench for a good measure. Eventually was able to wrestle it free. Thank you so much!!
    BENKRU
  • newpip
    Options
    Got the handle off, replaced the part, and now have a leak and drip free shower. Thank you thank you thank you.  
    mattmia2
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,265
    Options
    When installing new fixture is time to disassemble and reassemble with plumbers' grease? So that years later stuff comes undone easier?
  • mattmia2
    Options
    jumper said:

When installing new fixture is time to disassemble and reassemble with plumbers' grease? So that years later stuff comes undone easier?

I'd use anti seize or teflon dope.