Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How To Kill A Boiler

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 659
edited October 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
How To Kill A Boiler

In this episode, Dan Holohan shares a murder mystery involving a troubled heating system and a well-intentioned suspect.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jpm659er
    jpm659er Member Posts: 18
    I love Dan’s real world stories! The thing that comes to my mind with these two stories:
    What about the piping of the whole system? How badly is it affected by all the fresh water?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    Building supers are a much underappreciated clan...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 955
    I, like most of us, love and appreciate your educational stories Dan. In my 40+ years in this industry this was a quick and cheap fix more often than we like to think. I saw what fresh water could do to a Bryant Flex Tube Steam Boiler at a county old age home. These 2 boilers plugged up in one week to the point that the power burner flame was burning through the steel boiler tubes and flooding the boiler room. This was a brand new set of boilers and when I approached the architect/engineer to tell him the problem, he told me that I was an idiot and that the boiler was at fault not the fresh water.
    ttekushan_3
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    Thanks, guys. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • SwiK52
    SwiK52 Member Posts: 1
    I enjoy your stories as they are interesting get to the answers. Thanks for sharing another interesting topic about STEAM!
  • Steamfighter49
    Steamfighter49 Member Posts: 21
    Happily when I added water line traps ( which I thought were my brilliant idea until Dan started talking about them) I piped them to the condensate / vacuum pump.
    Which accomplished saving the pump until I could talk the owner into trap PM.
    Another story.
  • Duff
    Duff Member Posts: 61
    Great story, thanks Dan
    MarjPinard