Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low-level CO monitor education

Options
Sal Santamaura
Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
edited October 2023 in Carbon Monoxide Awareness
It doesn't provide an honest answer to the question "why are mandatory UL-rated CO detectors so deficient," i.e. to satisfy first responders' aversion to "false alarms," but at least the wider public is given some indication by Ross Trethewey that better are available/needed. Go to 10:23 through 15:30 for the discussion:
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/season-22-ask-toh/94510/s22-e4-creosote-removal-utility-cover

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,875
    Options
    False Alarms!
    When the codes were written they were worried about false alarms and came up with 70 PPM continuous for up to 4 hours.
    Better than NO alarms but far short of what the reality is.

SuperTech
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    Options
    pecmsg said:

False Alarms!
    When the codes were written they were worried about false alarms and came up with 70 PPM continuous for up to 4 hours.
    Better than NO alarms but far short of what the reality is...

That's why I put "false alarms" in quotes. The only thing "false" in this situation is the claim that UL-rated detectors provide adequate safety.
    SuperTech
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Decent article on low level CO- better than the usual tripe. The alert algorithms are based upon CO poisoning for a smoker- 10% carboxyhemoglobin. Thus, if a UL listed (not approved) alarm alerts, theoretically, occupants should have CO poisoning requiring treatment. Note that symptoms are a very late indicator of CO poisoning in my opinion as a retiired paramedic and wholly unreliable indicators of exposure. I would recommend a personal CO alarm for travel and every time I enter a building, both at work and in private life.
    Mark McCullough is wholly incompetent around fireplaces and chimneys. He demonstrates his ignorance of the subject every episode it comes up. Aside fro<m missing the need for a level II inspection and the defects in the flue/ smoke chamber seen in the vid, what idiot removes creosote from an open hearth fireplace with a 7" grinder with a wire wheel without a dust tent and HEPA dust collection? He probably caused $20K in soot damage to that home. There are excellent chemicals chimney sweeps use that don't cause continued damage to the masonry the way those brick yard acids do. No mention of why the glaze creosote formed due to low intensity fires. Garbage info. on burning pine. Wood should be <20% moisture content. If the pine is seasoned, burn it. The 'sap' is sugar water. Remove the water and you get sugar. Cellulose is a complex sugar. Burn it. Just burn it hot. It won't last as long as hardwoods but you can burn it.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,875
    Options
    False Alarms! When the codes were written they were worried about false alarms and came up with 70 PPM continuous for up to 4 hours. Better than NO alarms but far short of what the reality is...
    That's why I put "false alarms" in quotes. The only thing "false" in this situation is the claim that UL-rated detectors provide adequate safety.
    I stand corrected 
    ”False Alarms”
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,050
    Options
    Have any of you guys studied under The Great Jim Davis?  Captain CO?  Thats where I met Alot of original Wallies.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    I took Jim's course around 2004 and half a dozen times since. I try to go to dinner with him or David when they're in town. Two brilliant minds that have saved many, many lives and many businesses.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,050
    Options
    Jim is a Mad Genius!!! Love that man...I
    ,too, catch him when he's Comes East because I always get a deeper understanding and pick a few things up.  I'm due...its been too long.   Just like when I read Lost Art and Dan's Other books. I remember having Jim, Johnny NY and Mark Hunt to Mom Sweeneys house for Scotch & Steak, Baked Potatoes 🥔 with the works, Broccolini.  Colleen was an outstanding cook and entertainer. I'm thinking this was around 2000.  When you leave A Jim Davis class, you're ready to kick down doors 🚪 and start solving CO problems!!  Mad Dog 🐕