Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with Nest Thermostat, power connector, and Taco Sentry Valve

Options
I have five heating zones in my house. 4 are controlled by Taco sweat Zone valves, and the 5th is controlled by a Taco Sentry Zone Valve.

The Taco sweat zone valve have three wires - green, white, and red.

While the Taco Sentry Valve has four: white and red on the left, and white and red on the right.

I have 4 Nest Thermostat E that have been connected and working without any issues for about five years connected to the 4 Taco Sweat Zone valves, without a C-wire.

We recently added the 5th zone when we finished our basement. The contractors put in the Taco Sentry Zone Valve and a cheap thermostat which I replaced with the Google Nest Thermostat and got a nest power connector since it wouldn't work because I didn't have a C-wire in this zone.

I followed the installation diagram as best as I could for a heat only system, since this is what I have.

I have a red and a white wire on the Thermostat end, which I connected to the grey (W/Y and R) of the nest power controller.

I connected the C wire of the nest power controller to the R wire attached to the C (further to the right) of the Taco Zone Sentry Valve.

I connected the W/Y from the nest power controller to the same Bundle from #1 (green wires) of the other 4 Taco sweat Zone Valve.

and I connected the R from the nest power controller to the same Bundle from #2 (white wires) of the other 4 Taco sweat Zone Valve.

I'm still getting the N260 error when I configured the New Nest Thermostat and when I raise the temperature setting it does not turn the zone on.

Please help me by letting me know where I went wrong with the wiring and which is the proper way to wire it.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,871
    Options
    you’ll know my views on NEST
    Intplm.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    pecmsg said:

you’ll know my views on NEST

He is actually a secret admirer. LOL

However, your problem may be with the fact that you are connecting the wires in the incorrect place. As soon as you start to connect to a common wire for any thermostat the factory diagram for the zone valve must be carefully observed. When you connect a 2 wire thermostat to T T on a control or zone valve or transformer. The R on the thermostat can be placed on either of the T terminals or wires. The W on the thermostat can be connected to the other T or the transformer or other terminal or wire designated by the control or zone valve manufacturer instructions. That is because the R and W on a thermostat are just two ends of a switch.

When you add the C wire to the mix, then the T T on the control is not longer just a T T/ one of the T from the control must be considered an R terminal to line up with the C terminal of the transformer you are using to control that circuit. The other T terminal then becomes the W terminal. Since many controls were designed to work with a two wire thermostat, the instructions rarely let you know which one is the R and which one is the W. Newer controls will have those terminals differentiated.

I have some illustrations that will help. And I want to add that electricity is colorblind. The fact that a red wire and a white wire is connected to a zone valve does not help to determine whether it is a R or a W or a C or any other terminal. So, to be more helpful, can you post a picture of the wires on the zone valves, all 5 of them? And also a picture of the transformer the zone valves are connected to. There may be more than one.

My illustrations will follow soon.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    edited October 2023
    Options
    When you connect a 2 wire thermostat to T T on a control or zone valve or transformer. The R on the thermostat can be placed on either of the T terminals or wires. The W on the thermostat can be connected to the other T or the transformer or other terminal or wire designated by the control or zone valve manufacturer instructions. That is because the R and W on a thermostat are just two ends of a switch.

When you add the C wire to the mix, then the T T on the control is not longer just a T T. One of the T from the control must be considered an R terminal to line up with the C terminal of the transformer you are using to control that circuit. The other T terminal then becomes the W terminal. Since many controls were designed to work with a two wire thermostat, the instructions rarely let you know which one is the R and which one is the W. Newer controls will have those terminals differentiated.
    So, to be more helpful, can you post a picture of the wires on the zone valves, all 5 of them? And also a picture of the transformer the zone valves are connected to. There may be more than one.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?