Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil line sucking air?

Options
bruce_21
bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
My customer/neighbor's oil tank is full, but the burner fired once for a minute and a half and then shut down. The one-pipe oil line runs UP from the burner to the basement ceiling and across the basement 30-40 feet to the new oil tank and into the top of the tank, see the picture. There is just a plug in the bottom of the tank.
Can this be remedied by going to two-pipe?

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,149
    Options
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options
    Double check all the connections for being tight. It may have a connection which leaks a bit of air -- it wouldn't take much -- under vacuum, and an over the top piping arrangement like that is going to be very susceptible to that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperTechMaxMercy
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    It would be better after checking for leaks to power purge it.

A tiger loop is a band aid in my opinion. It does not fix the underlying problem. If it was my job it would be two pipe.

Other opinions will differ.
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,149
    Options
    I agree with you Ed, I was just thinking that a 2 pipe system with a tiger loop and a combination check valve with vacuum gauge and Schraeder valve would be beneficial and simplify things.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    No tiger loop.

If all the fittings are 100% oil tight, then no air can get in. If air can't get in then why do you need a Tiger loop which is a deaerator? It's a basement tank.

Make the piping tight, no air leak the burner will run weather it is 1 pipe or 2 pipe.

I was taught 2 pipes when you lift oil and that's the way I am staying.
    SuperTechIntplm.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Looks like the wrong pipe dope. A vacuum gauge will help you with diagnosing.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Intplm.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
    Options
    I would take the supply off the Bottom , valve and filter . Single pipe over , no fittings and valve above oil level with a Tigerloop at the burner....

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options
    @bruce_21
    Your picture seems to show compression nuts before the valve on the elbow. After the valve, it shows a flare fitting.
    I have replaced many a compression nut with a flare fitting for this type of problem. Compression nuts on oil lines can, at times draw in air. (Crazy). But I have done it in the past and the air problem can go away.

Also. At that pumping/fuel unit to tank distance (30-40'from the tank?) You should have a two-pipe system fuel line set up similar to this picture.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
    Options
    That compression nut is holding the dip tune to set depth into the tank. We use a compression fitting with out a stop the copper slides though the fitting down into the tank ...

EBEBRATT-EdSTEVEusaPACLambIntplm.