Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Coal to Gas Burner Conversion?

Options
Harry_6
Harry_6 Member Posts: 141
Howdy, recently a customer asked about replacing the conversion kit that changed their 1910 boiler from coal to gas. The gas burner and associated parts date from probably the 50s and are pretty decrepit and troublesome. They don't want to spend money on a new boiler, since the original still works fine. It's the replacement burner that's in bad shape. The question is: does anyone still make a coal to gas conversion kit?

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,154
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Is the boiler a one pipe steam boiler or a gravity hot water boiler?

The only way you will find out is if you go to a very large plumbing
    supply house to find if a replacement gas burner for the one they
    have is available.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,734
    Options
    Someone that knows what they are doing can put a gas power burner on it. Whether that is worth what it would cost to do it is sort of doubtful.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,805
    Options
    You first need to build a chamber . Either build it with brick or prefab . I would build it with brick .You need to learn the proper BTU needed to the size chamber . Shape of chamber I would recommend a "Pear" A gas burner Carlin or Riello ... Figure it out before you start

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,880
    Options
    Just replace it for a properly sized boiler. 
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,022
    Options
    You can't afford NOT to replace the boiler. The coal boiler with a modern power burner will make that boiler a little more efficient, but not much. The amount of heat that is being wasted by that behemoth of a water tank. The off cycle losses are enormous and getting a little package boiler will cut down on that loss. If it is hot water, and you have a large amount of water in the cast iron radiators, then a modulating condensing boiler will cut that gas bill in half easily.

If it is a steam boiler, then a much smaller water content cast iron boiler will end up with a lower operating cost.

Just run the numbers for them. If they took out a second mortgage at 7% for 15 years, I’ll bet the payments for that mortgage would be less than the amount of $$$ the gas bill savings would be.

This has been my experience over the years of my working on HVAC systems of all kinds. If you get a boiler with a more efficient flame inside it, and you reduce your gas bill by $50.00 per month. Then that $50.00 per month more than pays for the $40.00 per month loan payment. And guess what… Your loan payment will never go up but your gas bill will, so as the gas rates increase, your savings will increase also. In 10 years the price of the gas you are not using may be over $75.00 per month and you are still only paying $40.00 per month for that 10 year old NEW boiler. And there is a warranty on it and everything.

Do you really want to depend on a 65+ year old boiler to protect your most valuable possession from freezing up this winter? Unless you want to shovel coal like in the days of old, you really need to get rid of that thing.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

bburdreggipecmsg
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 922
    Options
    Installing a new burner on a boiler so far past its normal service life is false economy.

Bburd
  • Big Ed_4
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Is the system steam or water ? Steam would have a glass site glass on side of the boiler...If it is water is there circulator ?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,022
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I wonder if Harry ran away because he didn't like the answer he got here. This is one of many. https://www.amazon.com/Carlin-Combustion-000-275-Conversion-Burner/dp/B08H5JQPPC

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Big Ed_4
    Options
    Friday Night , I remember :)

• Harry_6
    Harry_6 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    Thanks for all your wisdom. I am not the actual contractor, so all I can do is offer them my opinion. That's why they called me. It is hot water, and so it is even easier to sell the efficiency savings for a new boiler. This is probably moot, since their original description of the problem made it sound like the burner was junk. Then, after the second HCAV guy looked at it, he's saying it might be the thermocouple! Why didn't the first guy look at that first? I will offer them my opinion that they should bite the bullet and get a new boiler, but who knows what their situation is.
  • Big Ed_4
    Options
    Let the tech fix it ..