Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Comments on Design of former Gravity Replacement Boiler Near piping

2»

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,748

@EdTheHeaterMan - so pumping towards the valve? 

That’s how mine is piped and it works fine, only thing is some is some whining noise when the valve is closed, which I attribute to high water flow (over 7 FPS) due to the GPM and low head pressure.
    What circulator are you using?

Eric
    So I am retired from working on boilers after over 40 years, and to my dismay, my home is equipped with a heat pump. So there are no circulator pumps here.

My son's home (the one I sold him for a dollar) has a Taco 007 for 5 zones including 2 air handler with water coils, one indirect water heater and 2 radiant floor heat zones that also use a Taco 007 for the lower temperature mixed water.

There is no boiler protection valve on that system because the design is such that the return water reaches 140°F in fairly short order from all the zones because of the way it is piped.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EricPeterson
    EricPeterson Member Posts: 217
    Oops - I meant my comment for @PeteA!

Eric
    PeteA
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,748

Oops - I meant my comment for @PeteA!

Eric

My middle name is Peter, so maybe that's OK

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

EricPetersonPeteA
  • PeteA
    PeteA Member Posts: 180

@EdTheHeaterMan - so pumping towards the valve? 

That’s how mine is piped and it works fine, only thing is some is some whining noise when the valve is closed, which I attribute to high water flow (over 7 FPS) due to the GPM and low head pressure.
    What circulator are you using?

Eric
    I have the 007e that came with the boiler.
  • EricPeterson
    @PeteA - from my limited knowledge, the 007e looks like a good fit.
    As I read the pump curve, even when the Caleffi valve is closed, the GPM will be lower than my NRF-22 so that should mean you will not hear the whining noise that I have.

Eric
    PeteA
  • PeteA
    Thanks @EricPeterson really appreciate your help.
  • EricPeterson
    @OldawgBryant - so glad to hear this update. I was just thinking that I too was thankful for the support received here on the Wall!
    As has been pointed out I think that when the valve is closed, the resulting low head lead to a high velocity flow through the near-boiler piping, and that initial noise is unavoidable with some circulators (like my NRF-22). It's not a big problem for me, and I will deal with it after the heating season.

Eric Peterson
  • PeteA
    @OldawgBryant glad everything came together.
    You're 100% correct about being thankful for this site.
    I personally am thankful to soo many people on here it's hard to list them all but everyone here has been amazing sharing their vast knowledge with common DIY folks like us :)
    EricPeterson