Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Geothermal Heat Pumps w/ Radiant in Floor Heat in Mountains

Options
EvergreenEQ
EvergreenEQ Member Posts: 1
Hi, Im looking to build a house that isnt on a nat gas line, therefore I need electric and propane to heat it.

The house is going to be located in the colorado mountains, so I know i need to get some soil samples to figure out if geothermal is the way to go.

In doing so I have some Questions:

1. Can there be a radiant floor system on a concrete slab that produce enough heat with a geothermal heat pump system?
2. Is there a hybrid heat pump system out there that can burn propane on the very cold days where the heat pump might not work efficiently? (do i even need this? can get down to -20 F)
3. How deep do you need to typically burry geothermal pipes to do a proper heat exchange?
4. Do you recommend any HVAC contractors that do these installs in the colorado front range?

My plan to go this route is to keep operating costs low and have a high efficiency home. I figured the geothermal keep the loop temp stable in the exchanging of heat therefore an electric heat pump would work efficiently for my heating and DHW. Electric heating seems to be very reliable and if i supplement my power need with photovoltaic generation with of course a backup Generac on site, i like to think i have a solid 50 year setup with solid maintenance.

Im sure i have lots of holes in my thought process but getting your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Im looking at roughly a 4k SF house ranch style.

Thank you for your advise.

Comments

• Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,863
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I’d check out the Idronics journals from Caleffi, they’re incredible free resources. To your first two questions: 
    1. yes, a competent installer can do this
    2. yes and no you don’t need it

However - geothermal is great but very expensive. If you’re building a new, well insulated house and electricity isn’t excessively expensive (in Colorado it isn’t), geothermal is probably not the best choice. The reason is that air source heat pumps can get you the nearly the same/better efficiency without the expensive drilling. A great combination is an air source heat pump paired with a lower efficiency propane boiler. 

EvergreenEQ
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Are you considering LP for cooking, cloths drying, fireplaces?
    Another option is an sir to water heat pump, boiler backup for extreme cold days

The key to any heat pump is a low temperature heating system. Target 120 supply on design day

So radiant floors and walls, properly sized panel rads

Is AC in the plan? Some air handlers  could run off the heat pump in the summer.

plenty of great hydronic contractors in Colorado, near what town

https://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/media/external-file/Idronics_30_NA_Hydronics%20for%20low-energy%20%26%20net-zero%20buildings.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EvergreenEQ
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Air to water vs GEO
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    DJDrew
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,865
    Options
    Drilling a well(s) for Geo in Co can get real expensive!
    1St, do you own the mineral rights?
    How deep to water?

Air to Air with LP as a back up.
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,303
    Options

1. Can there be a radiant floor system on a concrete slab that produce enough heat with a geothermal heat pump system?.

IN the slab, not ON. At least four inches of foam board under the slab, not two.
    Any in slab heat is going to be supplied low temperature water from the heating appliance. Doesn't matter if it is propane mod-con, or an air to water heat pump, or a water to water (geothermal heat pump). They all supply low temperature water to the slab. They have to. Would you want to walk on a 120 degree floor in your bare feet?
    None of these heating appliances are going to last 50 years. Especially the fancy-pants supposedly green new fangled electric crap. So get the house built, spend a lot more than you planned on insulation and making the home air tight, and start with a basic propane mod con. It will need to be replaced someday (sooner than you think) and maybe by then air to water and water to water heat pumps will be more of a mature technology.
    Most of the air to water heat pumps require glycol. Glycol is less efficient at transferring heat. (Glycol also has a lot of other downsides, which is another reason why I suggest you start with a propane mod-con.) So make sure your loops IN the concrete slab are sized for glycol heat transfer.
    I DIY.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Find a reputable contractor first. They will know what systems work and  are reliable in your area

The early Altherma air to water failed miserably in that area

The new generation of cold climate heat pumps can work in your climate. They are not as well know in the hydronic world yet. Mod cons are well supported

Advanced Radiant in Denver, Heatmeister in Dillion, PSI in Avon, dozens if good hydronic guys up there
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA