Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler leaking ?

Options
CatMarie
CatMarie Member Posts: 2
edited October 2023 in Oil Heating
Hello,not sure what is coming out of my boiler but the rust colored is crusty and hardened. The black is wet, like watery oil or maybe it's soot?  Had it cleaned in May, then one month later it stopped working. The problem was low pressure. Now today I went into the basement and found this mess. No noise, no smell, hot water and heat is working but this is scaring me.  Any advice is appreciated! Thank you. Cathy

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,702
    Options
    Looks like whoever repaired the "low pressure" didn't do it correctly. Looks like that is discharging when it heats up because your expansion tank isn't working right which should have been checked by the person that found no pressure.

Please edit to remove the contractor's pricing, we can't discuss that here for a number of reasons.
    CatMarie
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options
    It does look as though it might be coming from that pipe -- which might be coming from the pressure relief valve. Is there a pressure and temperature gauge on the boiler somewhere? Maybe step back some and give us a few pictures of the boiler as a whole, from a couple of angles?

If it is, though, as @mattmia2 said it's likely you do have a pressure issue, and the contractor didn't fix it. But we need more information.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    CatMarie
  • CatMarie
    CatMarie Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I removed the cost for the repairs..sorry about that. So here is the temp and pressure gauge and the list of work done on 7/31/23. Thank you so much! 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options
    Thank you. Now for the next question -- does the pressure change when the boiler is cool? And does it get higher than that at times? (the pressure shown is a bit high, but not really out of line for a hot boiler).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Put a bucket under that pipe so that you will know if the water is coming from the pipe or under the boiler.
    mattmia2CTOilHeatCatMarie