Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mixed hydronic and radiant, same boiler

Options
RicD
RicD Member Posts: 3
The hydronic heating boiler I'm working on was originally configured for 4 zones, although only 2 were used. I have added some radiant floor heating zones that will use the other 2 legs. My issue is that the 4 Taco 007 circulators are all on a manifold on the return side with no room to plumb around them. The best practice for the mixing valves needed for the radiant loops is to put the circulator on the outlet side of the mixing valve. Since the circulators are already plumbed in, I'd rather not move them. My question is, can I use a monoflo tee on the return line to feed the cold side of the mixing valve and leave the circulator in its current return/pull location?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    edited October 2023
    Options
    no.

To make a mixing valve work at all, you have to pump out of the outlet (zone circulator)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,918
    edited October 2023
    Options
    You could use a mechanical mixing valve or injection rather than a thermostatic mixing valve, but otherwise no. Depending on the boiler, you may also need to add some sort of protection from the cooler radiant return temps if they're running without your high temp emitters.

Also, "hydronic" encapsulates all types of water heating and cooling- including radiant.
  • RicD
    Options
    Technically, it is on the outlet side. they are pull pumps on the return side. Here's a rough sketch.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    The pressure drop of the radiant circuit will be higher than the pressure drop across the 3 port valve. The path of least resistance will be across the valve not thru the circuit.
    So you are not really pulling thru the valve from the H&C ports.

Here are 3 options that work well for adding a low temperature zone.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GroundUp
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,917
    Options
    You will need to move the pump for that low temperature zone. No Ands, Ifs or Buts if you are going the thermostatic mixing valve route. But that is not the end of the world. Select a convienent location for the mixing valve and place the pump on the outler side of the mixing valve. then just use a circulator flange to connect to the existing circulator flange with a gasket and 2 bolts. That will end up being an impromptu union of sorts.

Here is my impression of what you are dealing with. And the way to deal with it

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    You can pump through an un-powered circ also, leave the one in, remove the internal check if it has one, add another circ after the mix.

The jumper Ed shows can be easily made with two sweat flanges and a piece of copper tube.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,572
    Options
    Also, the sketch the OP posted. with the mixing valve.

I always thought a "mixing Valve has two inlets and one outlet and a diverting valve has 1 inlet and two outlets.
  • RicD
    Options
    So, I guess it's inevitable I have to move the circulator. Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.