Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How much vinegar for 24 foot PVC condensate pipe run and then antifreeze?...

Options
Hi,
My AC unit is seperate from the heating system and the AC unit resides in an upstairs closet. I want to clean the PVC condensate pipe as it's end of season. It's a standard diameter PVC condensate line. It has a horizontal run (with the appropriate slope) of about 24 feet and then it exits the house and drops about 15 feet to the ground. The entire run of condensate line was installed, brand new, in July.

1) I don't know how much vinegar to run through the pipe to clean it out or at least inhibit growth of mold, etc. Any thoughts?

2) As the previous condensate pipe fractured due to freezing over last winter (and caused a very costly remediation and repair job) I want to make sure it's protected. I've seen PVC friendly antifreeze used in RV's, etc. I was thinking of running a gallon of it through the pipe so in the event there is some left over residual water, (maybe in a place where the slope isn't as good as it should be) then it will mix with the antifreeze and hopefully not freeze. I welcome thoughts about this strategy and am wide open to better ones.

Many thanks for your help!

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    Options
    IF properly run and supported no need for Vinegar. 
    If you use antifreeze insure the A/C can’t operate until next season or the new condensate will dilute it. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    A pipe has to be "full" of water to freeze and burst or crack.. A little bit of water in a pipe may freeze but will not cause any damage,

If you have a trap make sure it is emptied or blow it out with air.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I tried adding RV antifreeze to my trap in my attic and found every year it evaporated so I gave up.
    I just ignore it now and if I think of it, add some water to the trap when I fire the system up.

Otherwise I just let it fill it self with condensate as it doesn't run long enough to matter early on (it shuts off and lets the condensate drain before the pan could ever come close to overflowing).

But, if you're a person that tends to wait until it's 90F and humid out before firing the A/C up, I'd highly recommend filling the trap manually before doing so. You'll be in for a bad day otherwise.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    PC7060
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,170
    Options
    Just vacuum it out with a shop vac if you're worried about it. 
    pecmsg
  • wcweaver3
    wcweaver3 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Many thanks for the valluable insights - most appreciated!