Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ERV continuous feature

Options
Hi this is the closest active forum I could find for this.

I'm wondering about a "slow continuous" mode on an ERV.

Am I right in assuming "slow continuous mode" would involve a lower air exchange rate spread out over the hour so you could have a consistent exchange of the air without any restrictive dips in the air? And the exchange rate during the 40min-20min setting would be stronger?

And if you just put the ERV on at 60min/hour at the default rate, without a "slow continuous mode" it might be too much? (like get too drafty)

I ask because I'm looking at the PANASONIC FV-10VEC2 ERV.

The manual only says:

"Panasonic Intelli-Balance™ 100 ERV’s low, continuous run helps remove moist, stale air and replace it with fresh air."

But then on the controls, it only has the intermittent timer settings, and no different modes listed. (Which I've seen on other models).

So, would this model be sufficient for what I'm looking for?

IF NEEDED MANUAL
https://panasonic.ca/brochures/EN/housi ... ion_en.pdf

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    Bad link. But one would also need to know the volume of the structure involved, and what the target air exchange rate per hour is.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    It would be best to run the ERV at a slow continuous rate. If during cold weather things feel drafty it could then be cycled with the hvac system
  • Craig808
    Craig808 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2023
    Options
    https://panasonic.ca/brochures/EN/housing/ventilation/submittals-forms_OI/IntelliBalance/IntelliBalance_FV-10VE2_FV-10VEC2_Installation_en.pdf

Hope it works this time.

Size wise, I live in a narrow row house. Between other units, the basement is 20 ft wide,39 ft long. Three stories.
    Not sure what the target exchange rate would be, I assume your saying that's variable? Or I could adjust that if I felt it was too much?

If that makes a difference on if the continuous run, is what I'm thinking of. I was thinking about it in contrast to another model, an Aldes which lists "slow continuous mode" on the controls, as distinct from normal operation. Not just saying "slow continuous run", which sounds like the same strength at 60min .

But maybe it works out to the same thing? And I'm splitting hairs?

@EBEBRATT-Ed
    Yes I want to run it continuously which is why I'm wondering if it offers proper way to ensure I can use it that way, I have a heart condition and some breathing issues so I want to avoid any restrictive dips in the air coming in.

Also..if you're allowed to comment on this..is Panasonic considered a good brand? I had a technician come in and say it was the only ERV/HRV that won't freeze up in -30 weather. Like anything else I choose for Ottawa, Canada will stop working all the time. But not sure if he was just biased for something he had in stock or not.

Thanks for any feedback.