Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica 95M-200 gas condensing boiler

TBird427
TBird427 Member Posts: 1
Full disclosure, I'm not a heating contractor. My post is to provide helpful information.
12 years ago I installed a new Utica 95M-200 gas condensing boiler, (myself). I'll get some flak for that but I was more than experienced to do this and it ran 12 years flawlessly.
In early winter last year I started to experience shut downs. I could get it reset and fire up again but the shut downs continued. In my area no heating contractor wanted to touch this thing and just wanted to install a new system. I wasn't going to do that, I was determined to fix this unit. I read a number of posts on this forum on these units and one fellow in particular seems particularly schooled in working on them, he's posts and comments were very helpful.
Utica would not talk to me because I was not a heating contractor, so be it. Now here's the kicker. The error code that kept coming up was E-65. The fix, inspect wiring and connections, if that doesn't fix the issue replace the blower and if that doesn't fix the issue replace the control module.
The module was the least costly of the two fixes. Replaced it but didn't fix the problem. Replaced the blower and it ran fine for about 2 weeks and started flashing E-65 again. The blower supplier agreed to send a replacement which was installed. This blower was noisy but worked ok for awhile but also had to be replaced.
Now I was on the third blower. This one ran fine but when I put the boiled shroud back on the unit would eventually shut down again flashing E-65 again. (note, this third blower was manufactured in Germany). I did not pay attention to where the first two blowers were made.
I tried other solutions, (parts replacements), nothing worked. Finally I found a contractor familiar with this boiler who was willing to work with me. In his first visit he contacted a tech at Utica who said I needed to replace the wiring harness. (I had the contractor do this, expensive and it did not fix the problem). A few days later he came again and got another Utica tech on the phone. (supposedly their most experienced tech). As soon as the heating guy explained everything that had be going on, the tech said, "replace the blower"! Whaaaat? They sent the contractor a brand new blower (free of charge), (took awhile, and they would not send it to me). He got the new blower and dropped it of to me, (he new I could install it myself which I did). Note: this 4th blower was manufactured in the Chek Republic for Utica.
Bottom line this blower has been working fine, much quieter and I was able to re-install the boiler shroud with no negative effects. The boiler is again running perfectly, (knock on wood).
I spent about $3000 in parts and labor to fix this unit, (still cheaper than replacing it). Who would guess you would have to replace the blower 4 times!! Many lessons learned!! Hope this post helps somebody!
Gene
WMno57

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    This is the reason I am not partial to mod cons.

When they work they are flawless. Operation is smooth and quiet. The condensing and modulation operation is impressive.

When they stop working it turns into a horror show. Parts are not stocked by local distributators and parts cost $$$$$
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,408
    This is why I keep my 75 year old boiler. Burning hundreds in extra methane and saving thousands in repair costs, and aggravation.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Highly unusual for 3 fans to fail in a short period like that. Was any troubleshooting done?
    Checking for dirty power, loose connections, improper venting, inhaling dirty air. Combustion adjustments on spec?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Ironman