Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Homeowner DIY Special

SuperTech
SuperTech Member Posts: 2,212
edited October 2023 in THE MAIN WALL

Found this on a call yesterday. The original power vent water heater was still in the basement. Note the melted Fernco couplings on top of the tank. You would think they would have figured out they did something wrong when components nearly caught on fire....

MikeAmann

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,430
    And thanks to SharkBite fittings, they were able to DIY it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    SuperTech
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Ironman said:

And thanks to SharkBite fittings, they were able to DIY it.

Is there one on the gas?
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 309
    DYI = Do Yourself In ?
    MikeAmann
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    DJD775 said:
    That's the type of install that gives DIYers a bad name! I'm still not convinced it's not a Home Depot install. :D
    Or Craig’s list. 
    DJD775
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    Nice heat traps on original work. 
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    DJD775 said:
    That's the type of install that gives DIYers a bad name! I'm still not convinced it's not a Home Depot install. :D
    I didn't ask.  I know I was called there for a second opinion on a problem with the furnace.  Side job Bob condemned the control board. Neutral for the hot surface igniter was disconnected. 

The water heater definitely came from Depot. I figured even side job Bob would remove the old tank.
    DJD775
  • SuperTech
    CLamb said:
    DYI = Do Yourself In ?
    Yes. That was intentional 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    SuperTech said:

The water heater definitely came from Depot. I figured even side job Bob would remove the old tank.

Probably doesn't have a vehicle that it would fit in. Or an appliance dolly.
    SuperTech
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    I hope you didnt leave without informing the homeowner of the problem. Thats a life safety issue.
  • SuperTech
    I hope you didnt leave without informing the homeowner of the problem. Thats a life safety issue.
    I did. I shut it down and informed them that it was unsafe to operate. Took pictures and wrote up the hazards on my invoice.  Gave them a price for a proper power vent water heater.  Had them sign off on everything. If they want to turn it back on its on them. We don't have the right to red tag and disable equipment in my area unfortunately. It's also unfortunate that these installations don't require any inspection by the AHJ.