Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Temperature sensors on each rad, wifi

Options
Todd_33
Todd_33 Member Posts: 62
edited October 2023 in Strictly Steam
I've been in another thread about cold radiators. It was suggested that some rads were vented too much, causing others to no heat. 9 unit apartment building, 5 rads per apartment. I've been mucking with heat balance since buying the building 17years ago. Thinking battery operated, wifi, cheap, individual temperature sensors on each rad would go a long way toward fixing. That's about 50 sensors.  I've used tempstick stand alone but cost is now $145 each. I'd like a sensor right on each rad, so has to handle 212+ degrees.  Has anybody tried this and does it work? Thanks.
Todd

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,731
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I've used the Govee sensors. They are like $35. They are OK, but not for remote live monitoring...but would work for looking at temperature over time after the fact (see below). You put one on your main near your boiler to be the reference point for the start of a call for heat. By the way, how do you determine when to call for heat? Just a timer based on the outside temperature? But I digress.

- They aren't really rated for steam temps but they worked fine and were not damaged by the temps. You can always put a consistent amount of insulation between them and the radiator/pipe, and then with observation you can tell "when is the steam there". But I just set it on my radiator, it was fine.

But you have some problems that I don't:

1. These cheap wifi/bluetooth devices require you to be on site on the same network or within bluetooth range. The devices store/log the temperature over time and then when you want, you connect to them with the app and it downloads the logged data to your phone. Your units are probably not all within range. But maybe you have a public hallway from which you can grab the data.
    2. The batteries last for a year or two max, then you'd have to go around to all the sensors and replace them.
    3. You have a lot of radiators, so a lot of sensors, and will drown in data and device management. I would say don't measure every radiator, but just the main one or two in each unit.

Others who have experience with real commercial solutions will add their experiences probably but expect $$$
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Todd_33