Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is a Safety Coal Manhole Cover?

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,860
Found a reference on the net to a manhole cover manufacturer Dreier Safety Coal Hole Cover Co. on a Lower East Side street in the early 1920s. Was this for coal for district steam heating?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Probably a coal bin for a building that was filled from the street that might be in a basement or in a vault under the street/sidewalk.

I'm guessing the safety cover meant it was round.
    Mad Dog_2D107
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 954
    edited October 2023
    Those covers can still be seen on the sidewalks in parts of New York City, and in the Victorian neighborhoods of Boston.

Bburd
    Mad Dog_2D107CLamb
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Plenty of coal chutes visible in basements in the city  mad Dog 🐕 
    D107
  • Mad Dog_2
    I was gonna Say...never been down Goerk Street.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    D107
  • Mad Dog_2
    Great NYC History Lesson D!  Read up on the Short Tails Gang who were Violent  Teenage Mutant Rebels constantly in search of Beer 🍺!  That block was straight out of Jacob Riis' Classic "How the other half lives."  And Gangs of NY...My Grandmother Ethel came up in slightly better housing in Brooklyn.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    D107
  • mattmia2
    I don't see how you would have used something like that until the streets were paved.
    D107
  • D107
    @mattmia2 Yes hard to imagine any paving going on in the mid-1800s...I wonder if streets and sidewalks came along together at the same time or if one preceded the other. These covers seem to have been placed in the sidewalk area, and perhaps before it was paved they could have built a square cement form to hold the cover and stuck a lining in to direct the coal. @Mad Dog_2 Yes great stories of that beer-addicted gang. My father lived on Goerck as a kid; his HVAC career may have been partially inspired by all the workers he observed on the block. He also spoke of some buildings with horses on the rooftop walking around in circles to raise the elevators. (No elevators likely in those Goerck cold water tenements.)
    Mad Dog_2
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055
    mattmia2 said:

I don't see how you would have used something like that until the streets were paved.

Cobble Stones?
    Mad Dog_2WMno57
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    edited October 2023
    I think that depends on what you mean by paving.

I'd guess that Manhattan had cobblestone roads etc going back to the 1700s in some areas. We're talking about Manhattan, not Hooterville.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    EdTheHeaterManWMno57
  • D107

Mad Dog_2mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    I bet Manhattan in the 1890's looked a lot more like hooterville than anything you'd think of a city looking like.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited October 2023
    Oh Yeah...."Collect Pond"  & Minetta Brook were early water sources for the "Farmers" of Lower Manhattan. They polluted the H----  outta them.  Minetta spring can still be seen in a sub basement of a building down there.  I've always been fascinated with Freshwater, ponds, springs, turtles 🐢 frofs fish ecosystem et cetera.  

As an Apprentice my shop had all the lucrative contracts and service for Radio City, Rockettes, The Rainbow Room Letterman Show, Bryant Humber had a 10K hand painted  gold trimmed Lavatory sink in his bathroom, Patricks Cathedral, All of Rockefeller Center, Time Life Buildings.  In those sub-basements were pristine underground streams and springs that were routed through 24" & 36" Vitrified Clay sewers. The water was tested.  Catskill Mountain Qaulity! We even drank some!  

Matt Jr. On his Manhattan College Radio Program interviewed Sergey Kadinksy, author of a fantastic book, called "Hidden Waters" which documented all the natural springs, streams,, lakes,.ponds & fresh water sources in New Yorks 5 Boros.  He literally crawled through tunnels, storm sewers, Impenetrable brush and found remnants and still flowing sources.  

If you're in to this sort of thing, it's an amazing resource and historical record about New York City Water.  Being an outdoors' lunatic, I often seek these places out and fish 🐟 them.  People passing by are always astonished what I pull out of these spots.  I always encourage everyone to get fishing, especially kids..."Take a kid fishing 🎣 and you'll never "fish" for the kid..."  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • ChrisJ
    edited October 2023
    mattmia2 said:

I bet Manhattan in the 1890's looked a lot more like hooterville than anything you'd think of a city looking like.

Well.....

1860s. And those are cobblestone roads and concrete sidewalks.

Sure, very rural looking....... :p

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    EdTheHeaterManCLamb
  • ChrisJ
    With all of those sidewalks etc, it's very easy to see where some nice cast iron coal manhole covers would fit right in.

• Mad Dog_2
    Up until the Early 1800s, Brooklyn & Queens had World Famous Trout streams...enclosed them in pipes and just filled some in!  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    I wonder how Hooterville got its name?

I can only imagine from this picture

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ChrisJ
    edited October 2023

I can only imagine from this picture

Hoosterville.

They lived at the Shady Rest, I don't think that was in Hooterville was it? It wasn't in Pixley either.....

Got it....

In one episode, it is revealed that the Shady Rest was built right on the county line between Hooterville county and Pixley county. The situation is solved when the Hooterville Cannonball tows the hotel several feet until it is fully within the Hooterville boundary.
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 309

From Wikipedia: In this series, the town is said to be named after Horace Hooter, who founded the town in 1868. According to Green Acres, Hooterville is in "the kangaroo state".
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    The Fambly Horse Farm 🚜 in Saratoga had a huge sow 🐖 pig named Arnold..Mad Dog 🐕