Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Odd noise when flushing

Options
nibs
nibs Member Posts: 511
Looks like this is my annual discussion.
Am staying at an Air B&B in England and there is an odd noise when flushing.
It sounds very much like a diaphragm pump while the tank is filling, and the vibration is strong enough to open the hot valve in the adjacent sink. I think that there is some sort of harmonic going on, & would love to tell our host. Was thinking that a small expansion chamber in the copper hot pipe to the sink would cure it.
I understand that this would be a band aid but would be quick and affordable. We are moving on Monday morning, t'would be a nice thing to be able to help a little.
Tony.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    Odd. But I don't think an expansion tank would help. Keep in mind that UK plumbing operates on far lower pressure than North American -- and that there shouldn't be a connection between the loo fill pipe and a hot water pipe anyway.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Is it a pressure assist toilet? Open the tank lid, is there a large plastic tank inside. These could be noisy, vibration, chatter, squealing.

Or a loose disc on the toilet ballcock fluttering around.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    I know in some places the mains are very low pressure and houses have a cistern that is filled slowly from the main. There might be a pump involved in filling or emptying the cistern.
  • JDHW
    JDHW Member Posts: 74
    Options
    In the uk it is not permitted to directly install a pump on the incoming main. Could be a cistern and pump as @mattmia2 suggested. What about a rainwater recovery system to the toilet?