Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Eight down…

only 292(ish) more to install.

So putting up aluminum plates sucks. I knew it wasn't going to be easy. I knew it was going to be quite a project. But, in practice, it's going much more slowly than I anticipated. Working around the conduit, wire, pipes, cross braces and then cutting all the nails is really slowing me down. It took me 75 minutes to put up eight plates. At this pace I'm looking at 45 more hours : (
And I'm filthy - just covered in dirt and dust that's remained undisturbed for nearly 100 years. I look like a grown-up, home-owning Pig-Pen - from the Peanuts, This must be why you pros have interns and apprentices.
Anyway, for once, I don't have any questions or concerns. I just felt like complaining.
Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,764
    think end game
    known to beat dead horses
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,125
    1 beer per Plate.  :)
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,406
    It can be brutal. The worst I ever installed was in my Childhood home for the old, added on den, that was chilly the day it went in in 1955.  You had to squeeze through a small window in the flower beds and then slink down about 3 feet and in.  The crawl space was clean but you couldn't really kneel.  It was about 20' x 20".  The worst part was all the long nails we had to nip off or bend over. Till this day, I've never seen so many nails through a floor.  That alone took 2 full days....The rest was not too bad.  

My mother Colleen (RIP) was sick with Cancer ♋ at the time and was in there 24/7. I had wanted to do that for a long time and that was the push I needed.  The last year of her life she was toasty.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    EdTheHeaterMankcopp
  • SteamtoHotWater
    SteamtoHotWater Member Posts: 123
    Well, that does put things in perspective. I may be covered in dirt with a tremendous task in front of me, but at least I'm not rushing to keep my mother warm during her last year. I will have a rosier outlook.

Hopefully, in a week, or so, I'll be back here desperately asking for help on how to fill my system with water and actually turn on my new boiler.
    Mad Dog_2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,676
    edited October 2023
    Just make sure that your loops are no longer than 250 ft for 1/2" PEX or 200 ft for 3/8" PEX. I have heard horror stories of someone putting a 1000 ft coil in the concrete back and forth from one end to the other in one very long loop. After the concrete was poured he had only two ends sticking out of the concrete. There was 1000 ft of unusable tubing in that slab. Now what?!?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,676

Eight Down...

Made me think of @Mad Dog_2 playing football. But they only have 4 downs before the other team gets the ball. This @SteamtoHotWater guy must be really bad at football if he needs 8 downs ! ! !

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited October 2023
    There was NEVER enough downs or time on Defense.  Offensive Guard is very important, technical and physical, especially running Lombardi Packer Sweeps, but my favorite times were Middle Linebacker and Kicking off.  I was the last of the straight-on, sqaure toe kickers (Mark Moseley Redskins) on Long Island and NYC.... 95% of the kick offs, I also made the tackle unless I booked too fast and the receiver juked me at the last second!!@%sf...Ha ha 😂 🤣 😆 Mad Dog 🐕 
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,031
    Haha, I did this in my own home and vowed never to do it again. I pass up several big $$$ jobs every year because I hate it that bad. Sometimes I see the aftermath of what the other contractor did after I passed it up, and it appears that they hate it too because there is always a serious shortage of both tubing and plates- cheap plates at that.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Gotra get paid for the misery jobs.. Mad Dog 🐕