Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Making a 180 for the return pipe in fintube baseboard

DustyG
DustyG Member Posts: 4
If installing a return pipe inside of a fintube baseboard, how do you make the 180 from the finned tube to the return pipe. They are so close together.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    The top return ties into the element with a street el and a ninety . If running Pex for the return , run copper for the return through the base board and add the Pex adapter at the busy end . With the extra expansion of heat Pex you will hear it snake across the element ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Street fittings or a premade baseboard return bend.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited September 2023
    I remember that SlantFin baseboard has a vented U-Bend

I don't know where to get them now but I have had success with 2 street (or slip) 90° elbows inserted into the bell end of the baseboard element, or a standard and slip on the regular end of the element

I wonder if anyone online here knows the part number for it?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited September 2023
    I guess that they didn't sell enough of them so they stopped ordering them the fitting manufacturer. Oh well!
    Looks like you are stuck with the ole standby double elbow option.

Same on the vented one https://www.pexuniverse.com/slant-fin-101-024-cented-return-bend

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

MikeAmann
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    I used to use Stirling Kompak baseboard. 1 regular 90 and 1 street 90 made the return tube fit on the return hangers perfectly.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Lots of options on Amazon. I think Nibco and Muller still make 180 bends. Not sure how close they turn?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterManMikeAmann
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Supplyhouse.com has the baseboard 90 with the tapping for a bleeder/drain in it, could probably make that work with a street ell.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Slant Fin had all kinds of neat angle fittings and those elongated, corrugated copper beads   mad Dog 🐕 
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,741
    A refrigeration supply house should have (or be able to get) u bends. Remember that refrigeration pipe is ordered by OD, so ½ plumbing copper is called ⅝.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    edited September 2023
    It would be 7/8"....

A "U" will bring the return too high...

There was an error rendering this rich post.