Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Its on every plumbing exam.......

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,727
    don't paint the pvc ?
    known to beat dead horses
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    LH thread
  • Mad Dog_2
    Kennedy-Tucker Fitting...Female thread x Lead Caulked joint.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    kcopp
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265
    My dad calls it a Tucker fitting. Dresser couplings made them obsolete.
    Remember Boston tees? Most people call them cleanouts now.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    You learn something new every day...
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Dont even ask for an IBTS ferrule anymore.....
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 668
    edited September 2023
    https://www.asc-es.com/products/744-tucker-connection

cool
    never came across it before! hardly deal with threaded CI drainage fittings in general anymore
    Intplm.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    The state plumbing exam in Washington has no trick questions and is based strictly on the UPC
  • Mad Dog_2
    The first time I heard a LTTY (long turn tee wye) called a 'Boston" was working in Long Island 🏝 mid 1990s  We didn't use that term in Plumbers Local #2 Manhattan & Bronx. Conversely, very few plumbers outside the 5 Boros called a Gang Bathroom copper water frames, "Crotons"
    (NYC is supplied by the Croton Watershed) Mad Dog 🐕 
  • realliveplumber
    This is what we call a Boston tee in NJ
    Mad Dog_2JohnNY
  • realliveplumber
    How about a Tyler tee
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122

This is what we call a Boston tee in NJ

This is called a Dandy cleanout in my neck of the woods
    Mad Dog_2realliveplumberJohnNY
  • Mad Dog_2
    Two-way cleanout...Does Tyler make pipe and fittings anymore?   Haven't seen them in many years.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    We would just call that a Cleanout tee with plug.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    realliveplumber
  • Mad Dog_2
    A Boston.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    MikeL_2realliveplumber
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    How about a Tyler tee
    Or a double ell?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • realliveplumber
    Funny how not even 100 miles apart and the different terminology is used.

Mad Dog_2
  • realliveplumber
    edited September 2023
    My biggest peeve is someone calling a 2 hole plastic suspension hanger a "mickey mouse" or a mickey. Drive me insane.

Walk up to the counter and ask pothead behind the computer for a bag of 1/2" 2 hole suspension hangers. First there is a blank stare. Then some head scratching. (Literally). Then the light bulb in their head lights up.

"Oh, you mean mickeys?"

No dingdong. I mean 2 hole plastic suspension hangers.

No one in my shop calls them that more than once.

Please speak like you have at least half a brain.....

CLambMad Dog_2Intplm.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    They are "mickey mouse ears" around here. Western, MA.

I worked in the Boston area a few times. We call the sheet metal clamps used on old work metal electrical boxes "jiffy straps" around here. Dow their (Boston) it took me 15 min at the supply house counter to get across what I wanted they are "Madison Clamps" down there.

But then we call a sandwich a "grinder" down there they are "subs" and that's only 90 miles away.
    Mad Dog_2
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265

I recognized this immediately as a mickey (my guys' name for it). This is one of those things that wasn't around when I was running pipe so I don't have another name for it.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    EBEBRATT-EdMad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211

I worked in the Boston area a few times. We call the sheet metal clamps used on old work metal electrical boxes "jiffy straps" around here. Dow their (Boston) it took me 15 min at the supply house counter to get across what I wanted they are "Madison Clamps" down there.

Some places also call them battleships. I think in southeast michigan i've usually heard madison straps or madison bars.
    EBEBRATT-Ed
  • Mad Dog_2
    Long Sandwiches by geographic area:   Subs, Hoagie, grinders, Torpedoes, Big Vinny, Speedies, a Wedge, The Bomb, The Kitchen Sink.  Mad Dog 🐕 

realliveplumberMikeL_2PC7060
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 508
    edited September 2023

Mad Dog_2 said:
    Long Sandwiches by geographic area:   Subs, Hoagie, grinders, Torpedoes, Big Vinny, Speedies, a Wedge, The Bomb, The Kitchen Sink.  Mad Dog 🐕 

How about adding : hero & po'boy.
    Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • dko
    edited September 2023
    some nicknames and exceptional branding/marketing

sammy screws (rod anchors, sammy is a brand)
    kindorf/kindorf clamps (slotted strut channel, strut clamps, kindorf is a brand)
    pipe rest (riser clamp)
    loop hanger, sprinkler hanger, swivel hanger
    fish plate, ceiling plate, hanger plate, square plate
    union (actually wants coupling, for the spanish speaking folk)
    black pipe (actually wants nh pipe)
    nh tee wye (sanitary tee, though some guys actually want a wye which is why anyone who asks for a tee wye I have ask tee or wye.)
    teflon (ptfe tape, teflon is a brand)
    johni-bolts (closet bolts)
    mission coupling (transition coupling, mission is a brand)
    offset wrench (wants end wrench)
    fernco coupling (flexible rubber cplg, fernco is a brand)
    sawzall/sawzall blades (reciprocating saw/blades, sawzall is a Milwaukee trademark)
    silver solder (wants sterling solder, contains no silver) unless it's an hvac guy, then stay-brite it is.
    the trap with the threads at the end (milwaukee/utility trap)
    the fitting with the 2" on the side (side outlet elbow)
    shemale (extension cplg)

At the end of the day, all that matters is that you understood.

not nicknames but common mistakes
    Not reading a reducing tee correctly, larger size run x run x bull.
    Sweat reducing male/female adapters should read sweat size first, then thread size.
    Not knowing ID/OD plumbing/hvac and understanding how you should order depending on if you are in a plumbing or hvac supply. unless ordering 1/4 and 3/8 refrigeration coils/compression fittings, then plumbers also use OD.
    Not knowing caulk vs silicone
    Angle danfoss radiator valves when pipe is coming up from the ground, should use side mount valves.
    pro dope on oil lines
    GGrossMad Dog_2CLamb
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    In the wholesale world we must know the correct technical name, as well as the nickname each contractor uses for each item. It gets a bit confusing to say the least, but at the end of the day everyone knows the nickname for a gas riser and that's all that really counts 😂
    dkoMad Dog_2Intplm.realliveplumber
  • Intplm.
    This thread brings something to mind.

Is it just me?

When I first started, when describing a tee, wasn't the only numbers you needed to describe it was the run if it was one dimension and then the branch.
    For example.......3"x2" tee. The run is three inch and the branch is two inch.

If on the run the dimension changed then you would describe it in that fashion.

I remember a few years ago...maybe ten years or so ago, I was corrected and almost scolded by someone much younger than me because I didn't say all of the dimensions when say thirty-five years before I would always ask for a fitting without three dimensions unless it was required, and never had a problem.

What gives?
    Mad Dog_2realliveplumber
  • And these?

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Intplm.

And these?

Oh Yeah! This little baby.
    @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes What do you call this?
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,152
    edited September 2023
    What do you call this?
    I think by now it's universal, no?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.

What do you call this?
    I think by now it's universal, no?
    NO! lol
  • dko
    The newer guys don't even use those anymore, haven't sold a stud puncher in a long time too.
    They just use suspension clamp for everything
  • Intplm.
    dko said:

The newer guys don't even use those anymore, haven't sold a stud puncher in a long time too.
    They just use suspension clamp for everything

Yes.... the Micky mouse ear hangers. Are we back to that again?

But I use the stub insert hanger that @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes pictured above on metal studs. Or is it called something else?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @Intplm.

As far as tees go i started in 73 and was always taught that you put down all three dimensions when ordering a tee. but I have seen it done both ways and putting down the dimension of the second run is really not needed.......if the person filling the order knows what he is doing.
    Intplm.Mad Dog_2realliveplumber
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    Intplm. said:

This thread brings something to mind.

Is it just me?

When I first started, when describing a tee, wasn't the only numbers you needed to describe it was the run if it was one dimension and then the branch.
    For example.......3"x2" tee. The run is three inch and the branch is two inch.

If on the run the dimension changed then you would describe it in that fashion.

I remember a few years ago...maybe ten years or so ago, I was corrected and almost scolded by someone much younger than me because I didn't say all of the dimensions when say thirty-five years before I would always ask for a fitting without three dimensions unless it was required, and never had a problem.

What gives?

That is still an acceptable way to order a tee where I am from, we try to explain this to the new guys as it can be pretty confusing when you are not familiar with the product yet. You have to remember also, that not every plumber orders tees correctly and we often have to decipher shorthand to figure out what someone is actually looking for. For example today I was sent an order that asked for " 2ea - IP ball valve" and "1ea- IP adapter" with no additional context whatsoever. It doesn't really excuse the younger guy's ignorance on tees, but maybe explains why he acted that way a little bit.
    Intplm.Mad Dog_2
  • dko
    You win a cookie if you can guess what skaspote is

Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Yes..I remember that...The New Supply House Bullies were very adamant about that.  They probably had a National Conference and voted on it.  We also always called the copper tubing one size smaller than 1/2" Nominal, 1/2 " O.D. Basin & Toilet rank supplies we called 3/8" and so on.  One day, they all start saying.  :" you mean 15/16th??  Whatever!  

Grainger is set up like that too.  Ok, I need 1/2" Wall Armaflex for 3/4"  copper..."
    Wait...so you want 7/8" I.D.????  Maddening.  
    Intplm.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Hose BITE?   SKASPOTE?  ROYGBIV?? what is the frequency Kenneth?  (Anyone remember that one??)  Mad Dog 🐕 
    GGross