Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Swap positions of the Supply & Return?

SteamtoHotWater
SteamtoHotWater Member Posts: 123
edited September 2023 in Radiant Heating
Originally, I had sketched my primary return on the left and the supply on the right because that's the way it was drawn in the manual. Well, in practice I'm running really short on space on the left of my wall. There's a minimum width on the supply side because of the zone valves. But I can make the return pipe widths really short. Is it okay for me to simply pipe the return to the right of my supply, or is something bad going to happen?

To me it seems like it shouldn't matter, but what do I know?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,183
    The water doesn't care...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SteamtoHotWater
    SteamtoHotWater Member Posts: 123

The water doesn't care...

Well if the water doesn't care, than neither do I.

Just thought I should ask. Something really bad happens if you exceed 12" between the supply and return. So I thought something catastrophic might happen if I swap positions.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,108
    Yor low loss header takes care of the 12" as long as you have the connections on that right you are ok.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,031
    The limitation for that 12" spacing is only at the "closely spaced tees" as shown in the manual. The piping itself can be a mile apart, as long as the tees are within 12" of each other (closer is better) for hydraulic separation. You are using a hydraulic separator in place of the closely spaced tees, so that can be disregarded entirely.
  • Pulse
    Pulse Member Posts: 78
    Nice to see your plan come together

What is your load on each of your zones? Did you go with the 140k or 199k combi?