Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water density calculation, from temperature in F?

mR_Slug
mR_Slug Member Posts: 10
Hi, I've been looking for a function that takes temp in F and returns the specific
weight in lbs/f3. I can find lookup tables, and found this https://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/javascript/water-density.html but was wondering if there is a simple formula for calculating this? It can be an approximation, so long as it is suitable for hydronics. Thanks

Read some of the idronics, but may I may have missed it.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    There is no really simple formula -- lookup tables should be more than adequate. Remember that the maximum density is a 39 F, not at freezing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mR_Slug
    Yes the problem with a lookup table is you get a figure for 39F, one for 40F and so on. If you need 39.7, then you have to workout the slope of the graph and approximate the value. Its doable but a bit rubbish.

I'm trying to write some web/javascript pages, that can calculate thermopsyphoning. I got the calcs from an old book posted somewhere on this forum.

Thing is, i really don't want to re-invent the wheel here.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    I think I have seen a formula out there somewhere... it runs to a number of non-linear terms. Great fun. Within 10 degrees of freezing, the relationship is highly non-linear, and you would need fairly closely spaced points for your interpolation. Above about or so , the relationship becomes much more linear (though never quite) and a simple interpolation between points even as much 5 degrees apart will be adequate to three significant digits -- which is all you need. Writing an interpolation routine for your program should be trivial.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Try engineeringtoolbox.com. They usually have tables but also show the formula or math.

Modern HydronicHeating and Cooling has a chapter on water properties. The HDS software has a module for density also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mR_Slug
    bingo! Thanks that is perfect.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    I think Salt water freezes are 27 degrees F.  Mad Dog 🐕