Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combustion analyzer

Options
Find myself constantly doing Combustion tests and not trusting the #s on my equipment. I've been burned before by it what brand of Combustion analyzer would you guys recommend hands Down?

Comments

• Jalen_Jalen2006
    Options
    I have used testo not a fan used crowcon not a fan.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,033
    Options
    Bacharach has always been accurate for me.  Just make sure you keep up with the service and calibration.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    Jalen_Jalen2006realliveplumber
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    Find myself constantly doing Combustion tests and not trusting the #s on my equipment. I've been burned before by it what brand of Combustion analyzer would you guys recommend hands Down?
    What is the basis for your not trusting the results?
    STEVEusaPAHVACNUT
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    Were you up to date with the calibrations?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    I have had good luck with Testo
    ZmanSuperTechkcoppDerheatmeister
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 886
    Options
    I use Testo, and compared to the Wohler I started with its great! I saw a guy the other day with an E com and it looked pretty good. I would buy that one as well
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    I have a testo 320. Its been reliable. No matter what you get it needs regular/ annual service. Yes its not cheap to do but what is the alternative....
    Derheatmeister
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    I'm using the Testo 300 right now and I'm happy with it. (Expensive printer sold separately) Previously used the 310 and didn't like the display and didn't like to play nice when it was cold out sleeping in the van.
    I've also been happy with Wohler. Don't remember which model, and the E Instruments BTU-1500 is nice too.

What are you using now and what don't you trust? Are you running the test until the stack temperature levels out?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    The combustion analyzer my father in law used was a stack thermometer. After the measured the stack temp., he would wipe the stem on a white paper towel. That was the smoke test. If there was too much black on the paper towel then it needed more air. I don't think flame retention burners were invented yet, do just about every oil burner has at least a #1 smoke.

He didn't like that new fangled cad cell control either. Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2MaxMercyCLambWMno57
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options

Find myself constantly doing Combustion tests and not trusting the #s on my equipment.

I don't know why you suspect your equipment, but my buddy is an ace tech, and he keeps an old wet kit on his truck in case something seems off with his Testo.
  • jesmed1
    jesmed1 Member Posts: 560
    Options

The combustion analyzer my father in law used was a stack thermometer. After the measured the stack temp., he would wipe the stem on a white paper towel. That was the smoke test. If there was too much black on the paper towel then it needed more air. I don't think flame retention burners were invented yet, do just about every oil burner has at least a #1 smoke.

He didn't like that new fangled cad cell control either. Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

That's kind of like the caveman's combination weather station and clock: a rock outside his cave. When the rock is wet, it's raining. When the rock is white, it's snowing. When you can see the rock, it's daytime. When you can't see the rock, it's nighttime.
    SuperTechMad Dog_2CLambMaxMercy
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,033
    Options
    Nobody likes my Bacharach no more, heh, ?  Always works well for us.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    STEVEusaPA
  • offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Picked up a Sauermann 130 last year and have been pretty happy with the features. Has a app for your phone and can be used with Measure Quick app for gas
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options

There's a lot of people like that in the world.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Nobody likes my Bacharach no more, heh, ?  Always works well for us.  Mad Dog 🐕 

I'm still using my Insight Plus. Never had a problem with it.
    I had a Testo, and a UEI (keep as backup).

There was an error rendering this rich post.