Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

converting a hot water radiator to single pipe steam

Options

i would like to convert this radiator to one pipe steam.

i've marked all the parts which i think will need to be removed.

i plan to remove the paint with a wire brush and then dose it with kroll oil to work everything loose.

am i on the right track?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,835
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Yeah, plug the hot water bleeder and put the steam vent down at the lower tapping. Ideally you'd use an eccentric bushing at the spud for the valve but it will work ok if you don't.

Heat will probably help a lot to get that stuff loose.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • mattmia2
    Options
    try this type of impact driver for the slotted head plug. it might not get it out but a regular screwdriver almost certainly won't

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit-impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-64812.html
    TonKa
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,305
    Options
    Do you twist the driver clockwise to loosen?
  • mattmia2
    Options
    jumper said:

Do you twist the driver clockwise to loosen?

You hit it with a hammer and it has a spiral in it that rotates the bit as the hammer shoves it in to the head.
  • galleybear
    galleybear Member Posts: 3
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

try this type of impact driver for the slotted head plug. it might not get it out but a regular screwdriver almost certainly won't

thanks. while i'm at harbor freight, are there any other special tools i should consider picking up?

also, this new pic is where i'd like to install the new radiator. when i measure the spud (the brass piece entering the radiator) it is 1.47" in diameter.

elsewhere on this site there is a pipe size chart which lists 1.660" as the o.d. for 1.25" pipe and 1.315" as the o.d. for 1" pipe.

is there another way to tell which size valve i need? is the local plumbing supply house good enough or should i order the valve/plugs/eccentric bushing online?

is the purpose of the eccentric bushing to position the spud at the lowest point?

thanks all for your assistance!

• mattmia2
    Options
    The eccentric bushing is to make it the lowest point so all of the condensate can drain out of the radiator. The od of the threads on the spud will be a standard size but pipes are measured by nominal id but a special fitting like that might not be exactly the same id as a piece of pipe. The valve will come with a spud, they are matched and non-standard so you have to use the new spud that comes with the new valve. Getting the bushing and spud out in one piece isn't likely, you likely will have to cut a couple slots almost to the threads then knock a little piece out between the cuts with a small chisel. Putting a rod or pipe inside the spud and using a pipe wrench on the outside may get it out, a spud wrench is not likely to get it out.
  • galleybear
    galleybear Member Posts: 3
    Options
    i took the radiator to the local welding shop and he was able to get everything out. as mentioned above it did take a lot of heat.

i've been searching for eccentric bushings at supplyhouse.com and pexuniverse and haven't found anything for steam radiators.

the opening measures 1.5".

aside from the bushing, i guess i'll need a 1/8" plug and a 1.5" plug?