Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What would you do??

STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,087
Went to supplier to pick up new boiler (WM EG-45 steam boiler with tankless coil (for hot water heating zone)). This is what I found. 

Comments

• realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Id have the supplier send me another boiler.

WM instruction manuals state a pressure test must be performed. (Im sure you are aware of it). Call the supplier and tell them it won't hold pressure.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    Id have the supplier send me another boiler. WM instruction manuals state a pressure test must be performed. (Im sure you are aware of it). Call the supplier and tell them it won't hold pressure.
    That's a gasket for flue gasses, no?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2realliveplumber
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    ChrisJ said:
    Id have the supplier send me another boiler. WM instruction manuals state a pressure test must be performed. (Im sure you are aware of it). Call the supplier and tell them it won't hold pressure.
    That's a gasket for flue gasses, no?

I think that you are correct. Fairly important regardless. Sort of makes me wonder how well the boiler was assembled. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    I bet it got hooked on something and pulled out as it was handled. You could always show that picture to WM and see what they say.
    CLamb
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265
    I'd document it and send it to my rep, get their written ok on it, slap some furnace cement on it, and call it done. Or, let the rep/WM tell me how to swap it out.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    edited September 2023
    Just got off the phone with WM. They said block has to be taken apart and resealed. Not my circus and not my monkeys. I'll have my supplier send it back and have them take care of it. Boiler has not yet been paid for and certainly won't be paid for under  these conditions. They said that besides for the sealing aspect, the gasket is necessary to ensure proper torque. 
    mattmia2realliveplumber
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,741
    I wonder how the gasket slipped out. It looks like it'd been in there a while.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    ratio said:
    I wonder how the gasket slipped out. It looks like it'd been in there a while.
    Looks like it dried inside and then came out. I doubt it snagged on anything. Should have some rip marks or something like that. I suspect that rods were not properly tightened and it came out. But who knows.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Hard to tell some picture, but it looks like part of cast iron may have chipped off. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Probably slipped out during assembly.

Used to assemble a lot of HB Smith boilers. They used to send furnace cement to glue the gaskets in (I am talking flue gas sealing not water sealing here) and the furnace cement was horrible to use and didn't work well.

Weil McLain used to send a bottle of "Weil McLain" white glue. I think it was just rebottled Elmers glue. That worked pretty good.

But the best thing to use is the spray on contact cement works like a charm never a problem.

I seriously doubt that gasket "fell out" It gets crushed by the sections when properly assembled.

So I think the gasket fell out and was not noticed. The boiler passed the pressure test and they shipped it.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Would pressure test tell you about the necessary integrity? Don't think this gasket is for the water or steam side. It's for the flu gases. I think. 
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    That's not really a gasket. At least the caulk is not. It should dry in place.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Send it back.  The customer's paying for brand new equipment, not patched.  Its not that cold yet.  Push for a labor allowance for your wasted time on this.  They'll give you 1/3 of what you ask for, but it sends a message.  As the installing contractors, it ALL comes back on us if there's an issue down the line.  Mad Dog 🐕 

• STEAM DOCTOR
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Send it back.  The customer's paying for brand new equipment, not patched.  Its not that cold yet.  Push for a labor allowance for your wasted time on this.  They'll give you 1/3 of what you ask for, but it sends a message.  As the installing contractors, it ALL comes back on us if there's an issue down the line.  Mad Dog 🐕 

Agreed 100%. Not much labor invested. Went to pick up from supplier and told them no thanks. Messed up my schedule a bit but was mostly able to rearrange. Am I entitled to compensation for the time and headaches? 100% yes. But need to know when to pick your battles. Strategic retreats are also victories. The fight over compensation will definitely not be worth the aggravation.  
    Mad Dog_2
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Update. Supplier is swapping the block!!
    mattmia2Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • Mad Dog_2
    I hear ya.. A" Fighting Withdrawal " is just your turn getting "pulled" in the Tug of War.
    The right decision and outcome.  We expect pictures young man!   Mad Dog 
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    Mad Dog_2 said:

I hear ya.. A" Fighting Withdrawal " is just your turn getting "pulled" in the Tug of War.
    The right decision and outcome.  We expect pictures young man!   Mad Dog 

You do know you're only 55 right?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    55 going on 16!  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,775
    for flue gasses. very likely could just use something like a taping knife and shove back into slot. I think thats just pressure fit. Get ahold of local Weil mclain rep and send photo and see if that is adequate. My guess is it is.
    Tim
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    tim smith said:
    for flue gasses. very likely could just use something like a taping knife and shove back into slot. I think thats just pressure fit. Get ahold of local Weil mclain rep and send photo and see if that is adequate. My guess is it is. Tim
    I would take that route if I was making a repair out in  the field. Call manufacturer and get their advice and repair accordingly. But not on a brand new boiler. I actually did speak to manufacturer and they said to send it back. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265

Strategic retreats are also victories.

Love this.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    mattmia2