Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

High temperature heat pump for loosely-spaced radiant? Recommendations much appreciated!

Options
With the new inflation reduction act, it seems like maybe I should get a heat pump to replace my old boiler.

I'll be looking for one that can reach relatively high temperatures.

That's because I recently installed a loosely-spaced PERT pipe/Ultrafin setup. I did that because I wasn't ready to replace my high temp boiler.

The good news is that I installed the fins a bit on the tighter/denser side so it would also be ready for a future heat pump.

Now that tax rebates are in the mix, I'm on the hunt for a cool new somewhat high-temperature heat pump to replace the old boiler.

So, have you seen any cool new setups?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    Options
    Best you can get with an air to water heat pump is 120 / 130*. 
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,864
    edited September 2023
    Options
    The easiest option in my opinion would be to use an air to water heat pump for as much of the season as you can, then supplement with the boiler. 

Next easiest would be to reduce heat loss or increase radiation until you reach lower temps.

How did you determine did which temps you actually need? In general, heat loss calcs are generously oversized, so radiation ends up oversized. 
    watercoursehot_rod
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    Options
    I agree. Use it for the sholder seasons 
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,864
    Options
    It can be used more even if the return water temp is low enough. 
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    I would get an accurate heat load done for your home. Alot of the free software and apps have quite a bit of fudge for the load. Do a blower-door test to determine the actual infiltration heat load. Then you know the numbers that you need and water temps actually needed.

Dave H.
    Dave H