Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

UP Michigan Community Gem Needs Help

2»

Comments

• SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    @dabrakeman

if you pipe in the second 4" riser it will cut your exiting steam velocity in half. 

54 fps will definately have some carry over
  • dabrakeman
    dabrakeman Member Posts: 581

Thank you for the feedback @SeanBeans. Looking at various boiler manuals and minimum piping recommendations it seems for some reason as they start getting into bigger boilers the manufacturers are allowing higher steam velocities. I've seen a few places on this forum where folks are targeting velocities in the teens so 54fps did seem high to me. WM lists the same minimum piping for the next size up lgb-8 which would in that case result in a velocity of 64fps. LGB-11 is allowed to go up to 58fps with single 5". Conversely smaller residentials at top end of their groupings have for example EG-35 27fps and EG-50 34fps. I know slower is better but just wondered if anyone had any insight into why the manufacturer allowances seem to scale up with boiler size. Maybe because many of these applications also have very large mains or tie into massive headers remnant from original systems?? I.e. note the photo below for this application:

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,443
    maybe they are hoping they will get skimmed properly and otherwise be set up to deal better with carryover than residential systems?
  • dabrakeman

Great to meet @Steamhead! A groundhog would be jealous of his sub-terrainian prowess.

Some good advice particularly steering us away from the LGB. We wanted to avoid the necessity of doing weekly blowdowns since who knows going forward who if anybody would be taking responsibility for maintenance. Seems to LGB does not have proper tapping for a probe type low water cutoff. The probe type is an available option on LGB but would end up being in a manifold and thus still requiring blow down. So we are likely going to go forward with the 80 series WM since it solves this problem and the local installer is most comfortable with them. Also will get an auto feeder with a digital readout.

PC7060
  • dabrakeman

Wanted to get some opinions on the potential radiator EDR per section of this unique radiator given the new physical measurements I obtained earlier this summer. It is a standard 37" tall but also has 3" section spacing vs the typical 2.5". The unique contoured depth profile varies as shown below. Going to be something higher than 5sqft but how much higher matters since this style radiator is about 65% of the system.

According to Dan's EDR book (radiator not in it) the hoods covering a large percentage of the top of the radiator is going to have the effect of reducing EDR some percentage. I would estimate ~ -10%.