Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

please delete

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 2
edited September 2023 in Thermostats and Controls
please delete

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options
    That is a modulating boiler -- and a very good one. The best control strategy -- at least as we use them on the west side of the pond -- is with outdoor reset (your weather compensation) plus a thermostat. The outdoor reset, if it is correctly adjusted, should do all of the work, and will modulate the boiler for best efficiency. The heating is always on, but just at the level needed to maintain comfort. The thermostat -- if used -- allows you to boost the temperature briefly as needed, but you might never use it. Just nice to have if great aunt Minerva comes over and complains...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    hi jamie, thanks for your reply. yeah i've done quite a bit of research on the boiler side.

i really like this idea of leaving it to do it's thing with the aim of just keeping this comfortable. no on/off, or timers etc. i don't like the idea of adjusting the temp or boosting it; aunt minerva can get stuffed. i think your suggestion of just having a good opentherm thermostat there just in case, is a good one. even if i never use it, it might just be sensible. until i've lived with the heating system for a while.